Reserve fuel light?

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
Hi Guys,

I know it's a noob question... But I would like to find out if the "Low Fuel" light will light up if fuel are running low? Or is there such a thing on a K11??

Thanks

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
On most cars it's usually keyed to come on with 5L remaining, having said that it will often flicker or randomly trigger at around 8L, depends on if your driving level surfaces etc.

It's supposed to indicate the 'emergency reserve', so a solid on means you should be looking for a gas station, in practice for small cars you can push it a little, I know I've had them come on in the middle of nowhere miles from a station.

But, just a general warning, submerged in-tank pumps rely on that for cooling, to be submerged, and when your that low you also risk the pump sucking air in a hard corner/stop etc, which is actually 'really' bad for a fuel pump.

So I know I play it safe, my fuel light comes on, I get fuel.

Edit: To follow up what Frank said, I believe the warning light usually uses an extra sensor, something like an air sensor sitting very low in the system, separate from the float, so yeah leaving it out likely saved a moderate few pence.

Second Edit: My base model 95 LX has one, with driving on hills a lot I trust it more than the gauge, which I find is overly dampened, so sluggish to update it's actual level after a trip up or down the mt roads.

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
anyway to check if mine comes with it and not due to faulty electrical or blown bulb? As I have once ran til the tank was empty and car stalling...no light came on..fuel guage not even touching the red line too... :(

Back