Replacing the aerial on the later k11's

Hi all, I had a read through some previous threads here after a search but didn't find a definative answer ...

My Micra's aerial (2001 1.0 Y plate) was snapped off by vandals a few years back, it was like the type in this picture (I've linked a random advert on auto trader with the same type, this isn't my car)
media

I was left with just the screw on end cap. The remaining stub of the aerial actually still worked well so I didn't replace it but I'd like to sort it now with one of the beestung ones if possible or whatever is easiest to fit? I've unscrewed the end cap off on the roof which reveals a bolt and a thin wire through the middle.

Any advice on what I need to buy and with the fitting?

Cheers.

If you want to replace the whole ariel (including the base), it's fairly easy. You can buy the base off eBay for not very much, and the wire that connects to it is just held on with a bolt (although you do have to take out the roof liner to get to it). As for the stubby ariels, you can buy them from pretty much anywhere - eBay, Halfords, Motorserv, Euro Car Parts, or any good car shop. They also come with various adapters to fit any car, including Micras. Hope this helps (Y)

... As for the stubby ariels, you can buy them from pretty much anywhere - eBay, Halfords, Motorserv, Euro Car Parts, or any good car shop. They also come with various adapters to fit any car, including Micras. Hope this helps (Y)
Thanks for the info, the latter suggestion sounds good, I'd rather not take the roof lining down. These adaptors just screw onto the original bolt mount on the roof? Does it matter that mine was snapped off? the wire core of the arial is still poking though the end of the bolt so I'm wondering if it would make contact with the adaptor screwed onto it and that would be ok?

Thanks for the info, the latter suggestion sounds good, I'd rather not take the roof lining down. These adaptors just screw onto the original bolt mount on the roof? Does it matter that mine was snapped off? the wire core of the arial is still poking though the end of the bolt so I'm wondering if it would make contact with the adaptor screwed onto it and that would be ok?

Ahhhh, I just looked at your photo again, and seen that your ariel is different to mine. My ariel base is at the back of the car, so yours might actaully be slightly different. That said however, I wouldn't have thought there would be that much difference. And yeah, the adapters screw onto the original bolt mount (at least as far as I'm aware on your model), and it sounds like it should still make contact with wire still. More pics?

cool ok, i'll take the photo in the morning to see what everyone thinks of the likelyhood that the remains of the arial are likely to work with the adaptor (Y)

ok, I've taken a macro photo now this morning.
aerial.png

With the cap removed (right), you can see the bolt with the core of the wire through the middle. The cap is a push on fit rather than a screw thread, I guess it was glued also as I had to use grips on it to get it off. Will these replacement aerials with included adapters fit do you think?

Looks like a replacement ariel should fit. Can you unscrew the bottom-most bolt? I think that might be your answer (Y)

ok, thanks. I've not tried to unscrew yet, it's difficult to see if the bolt is one or two sections, I didn't want to force it and damage the core before checking what I'm doing. I guess these adapters will need to screw in place of this bolt?

It looks like it might be 2 sections, but can't be sure. Just spray a bit of GT85 or WD40 onto it, should loosen it up a bit if it's too tight. Should just come straight off, and then the adapter (normally comes with quite a few) should just screw straight in where the bolt came out (Y)

great, thanks Dan (Y) I'll get that one on ebay on it's way and give it a go. Will update when it's (hopefully) fitted in case anyone else is looking to do the same.

I fitted the aerial successfully this morning :grinning: I'll post a couple of photos later on of the fixing... the bolt was just one section in the end and screws off at the base. It didn't want to budge with grips even after spraying it with wd40 so I'd advise using a small spanner as I did in the end which makes the job extremely easy to do.

ok, so here's the photos...

Here's the original aerial bolt now it's removed.
original_aerial_bolt.png

The new aerial comes with two bolts, I used the one with the small thread.
new_aerial_bolts.png

...and the aerial itself just screws onto the new bolt. Simple! takes about two minutes.
aerial_fitted.png

Hope it helps anyone wanting to do the same.

I had that shorter aerial... twice. Within 3 weeks it had totally discoloured to a copper colour :(
Also with reception, I was able to get a couple but my friend who also has it got nothing.
Hope everything is good on yours though!

I never listen the radio, ever. Always have my iPod plugged in. So I guess I could just completely remove the ariel and wiring, and just spread filler over the hole and respray it

The reception with this new aerial seems just as good as the original long aerial was before it was damaged, both AM and FM have a strong signal and auto tune is finding all the lower signal strength stations.

I never listen the radio, ever. Always have my iPod plugged in. So I guess I could just completely remove the ariel and wiring, and just spread filler over the hole and respray it
:wasntme: yea, I rarely ever listen to the radio to be honest, I just wanted to put it all right again so at least the options there :grinning:

:wasntme: yea, I rarely ever listen to the radio to be honest, I just wanted to put it all right again so at least the options there :grinning:

Exactly, and you never know when you might want to listen to the sports channel, Radio 1, or the traffic report (Y). I might try to work out a way of linking it up to the window, or maybe I can do something under my spoiler? I'm sure there must be a way :grinning:

Does anyone know if I can screw a DAB aerial into this mount? (Pics below) I've got a splitter to use DAB through original aerial, it works ok but wanting better recrption on DAB.

Last edited:
I bought this splitter adapter (£9.99) so I can use original k11 face-lift aerial on my new DAB stereo. The DAB is working fine as far as I can tell, but only put it in yesterday. I need another adapter to fit my radio for AM/FM which is on the way from ebay ,£1.99. But all in all the splitter adapter seems to work fine, I'm just outside Bradford in W Yorks. No need to rewire the connection or drop the interior lining doing it this way, saves a lot of time and hassle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221031_103800.jpg
    Screenshot_20221031_103800.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20221028_154229.jpg
    20221028_154229.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
  • 20221030_161431.jpg
    20221030_161431.jpg
    808.8 KB · Views: 105
Back