Replacing an unbroken Timing Chain

Some quick advice...

As you may be aware, I'm planning to drive the K11 10,000 miles across Europe and Asia (and then ship it back).

It has just under 100k on the clock, and I'm worried about the timing chain... should I look at a preventive replacement, and if so, roughly what would the (wallet) damage be?

Thanks!
M.

It's probabably going to be cheaper to buy a second hand engine than replace the chain tbh.
Both involve removing the engine I believe. You can pick up a second hand low mile 1.0L engine for around £50 as there are so many of them around

Some quick advice...

As you may be aware, I'm planning to drive the K11 10,000 miles across Europe and Asia (and then ship it back).

It has just under 100k on the clock, and I'm worried about the timing chain... should I look at a preventive replacement, and if so, roughly what would the (wallet) damage be?

Thanks!
M.
If it's not rattly then you'll be fine.

It's not rattly... I was more worried about it becoming an issue during the trip. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best !

There's lots of ppl on here that race and rally their Micras. They don't seem to have any problems. Can't recall any of theirs ever snapping.

The chains very rarely snap, I was quoted about £150 for just the kit so you gotta include labour ontop of that unless your feeling brave

I would personally change the timing chain and then go. They go every 60k so ur not far off service time anyway. They do snap if u not carefull, they do religiously stretch though.

Back