Replacing a headlight

Z

zappeh

I have a 1998 Micra (facelift) Twister and my drivers side headlight has recently been smashed (started as a large crack and eventually broke completely).

I've picked up a replacement headlight unit from a scrapyard, so need to fit it.

However, I am totally useless when it comes to mechanical things on cars. Will it be easy for me to fit it myself? Does anyone know of any idiot guides that I can use (I don't have a Haynes manual, and they seem fairly pricey on EBay). If not, what would I expect to pay to get a mechanic to fit it for me?

It's a fidley job. Removing the front bumper would help a great deal & having a 10 mil rachet ring spanner to get into the tight spaces. Removing the bumper takes about 10 minutes. If you don't have a garage to do the job in, make sure it isn't going to rain. I got soaked.

you don't have to take the bumper off to remove the head light, as you need to remove the headlight to remove the bumper!
it's just x2 10mm nuts behind the headlight and 1x 10mm bolt into corner of wing. undo wiring and then it's only held in by a clip, which is behind the light (on the 'wing' side of light.) and either pull light off clip or try and get something into clip to pry it out. ( if the clip bit comes out of the light unit, it's easily removed after light is out.)
fitting is a reversal of removal.

Back