half a headlight

I have a problem with my nearside headlight. it looked as if the main headlight element had gone so i checked the bulb and it was fine on the opposite side. the wiring connector at the back of the bulb looked like it had melted a bit, so i got a new one and problem is still the same. upon further investigation of the good headlight workings, the front half of the bulb illuminates on main headlight, then when you switch to full beam that bit goes off and the back bit illuminates instead. on the problem side. the full beam bit works as it should but on main headlight half of the front element is illuminated at half light and so is the rear element (at half light) thereby making the headlight look dimmer than the other correct side. any thoughts please i'm baffled (and wellskit)

I had similar issues a few months back, what i did was under the dashboard where the fuses are ylu will need a torch and shine it there you will see a small black box, its the light relay function, disconnect it and take it out. Open it up and get a soldering iron and resolder the joints nicely and put it back together and refit it!! And it should work normally!! But also as said above check the bulb connections at the head lamp and the fuses area first.. All this should solve your problem!!

Let us know what you did and ...

J

none of the above suggestions work. i'm lead to believe its an earth problem so i thought the easiest thing to do is run an earth wire from the bulb to the body. there are 3 connectors on the bulb, a top one and two at the bottom. does anybody know which of the terminals on the back of the bulb are the one for the earth?
thanks

had a look today and so far found 3 earths in bodywork . took 1 off and cleaned it, no change. the other 2 are by the offside front wheel arch but appear to be rusted solid. they do look grubby but i dont think i'll get them lose. could i cut the wire and connect it elsewhere to the body?

had a look today and so far found 3 earths in bodywork . took 1 off and cleaned it, no change. the other 2 are by the offside front wheel arch but appear to be rusted solid. they do look grubby but i dont think i'll get them lose. could i cut the wire and connect it elsewhere to the body?
Looks like your problem, yes, move them, don't see why not.

Back