RELIABILITY

New in here so.....anyway, happened to see some posts about the K11 Automatic. I've had my Tempest since 2002 and it's never ever let me down! Ok I have it regularly serviced. Yes it takes it's time pulling away from start and at traffic lights, but I have no intention of parting with it. Still no sign of rust anywhere, and totally trusted. I love the solidity of the car, particularly the solid clunk of the door as I close it. The wind back & forth sun hatch has never jammed or leaked, running out of stuff to say about the car. For years I owned a number of Austin Metro/Rover Metro. When my local garage told me that maintaining the last one and fighting the rust.was going to be very expensive. I asked for an alternative and have always remembered the suggestion. "Nissan Micra K11. Built like a Tank, last you forever".

Best small car ever made, twenty years ahead of its time, and would better all the new stuff out there today.
Is yours a one litre ? if so , get a 1.3 or 1.4 you won't be slow at the lights then, and cheaper again to run.

hello. and thanks for the reply! Yes the Tempest is 98. something. Perhaps I should 'upgrade' but would find it difficult to part with mine! Full service every year. Passes the mot with no advisories. still only 13000 on the clock. As soon as you get in the car, it wraps itself around you. A feeling of total safety no matter where or how far I drive., That reassuring 'clunk' as you close the door. And if I want a bit of 'ooompf' Push the 'sport' button! I was actually told by the people who do the servicing. NOT to change it for the K12. Built of tin plate, rubbish mechanics, unreliable, and from the cosmetic point of view. Ugly to look at!
Only gripe is the tax. £145
Jonathan

Definitely do not buy a a K12 :eek:
The K11 didn't have the greatest safety rating, but....hey ho...who cares, they're brilliant. Reading that about yours, its for life that one.:D

Back