Non starter suspect starter inhibitor on cvt box

Hi bought a K11 face lift cvt model from my brother in law late last summer was running fine although he had two or three times had to run back and forth through the selector to get it to start. I drove it fairly regularly till nov last year when the tax and MOT run out not been anywhere since then while waiting for my wife to get her provisional. I started it once a week for the first couple of months no problems the battery then went flat. I have give it a full charge but now the starter motor doesn't even try try to turn over lights are bright and all locks work fine, could it be the starter inhibitor switch and where is it a local dealer has suggested it is in the gearbox and the whole box may need replacing does anyone have any ideas/ suggestions, I am ok with mechanics once I know what the problem is

My 1998 K11 CVT will occasionally do this. All I do is shove the lever forward a bit more whilst in Park or move the lever to Neutral, it'll then start.
Not saying it'll work for yours but you could try it.

Our last and current Auto Micra has the same treatment as Muji mentions.

I 'think' the switch is in the selector - not the box.

But either way, you 'could' get away with bypassing the inhibitor - though I suggest you don't touch the accelerator if in a driving gear, whilst starting - that's all the inhibitor prevents.

my wifes micra will only start in N or P, certainly would not start in D !!!!!! neither should yours!

No-one said it does?
My comment was: 'if' you were to bypass the inhibitor (if in the autobox), don't use the accelerator. whilst starting.
You would hopefully be used to checking it in neutral/park first, but it's a second step in keeping the box safe.
(to prevent hard use before the oil has time to saturate - until you start pulling away, the box hasn't turned over.)

But that's down to the owner to save cost on a box replacement - if you don't take the extra precaution, you really will need to replace it!

The alternative is to fit a park switch - you'd only be able to start in park.

It read like you were suggesting to bypass the switch that stops the auto moving on start up. My apologies if I read it the wrong way.

It read like you were suggesting to bypass the switch that stops the auto moving on start up. My apologies if I read it the wrong way.

Quick google brings up our Aussie cousins:
http://www.micra.com.au/community/message.php?messageid=69248

This suggests that there are 2 sets of contacts.

One set for position detection (low current) - (likely the one you mean, davyboy), another for high current (inhibitor).

You could, for temp sake, bridge the high current cable to got you going.
Then get someone with some sense in electronics, to rig up a relay to toggle when the N or P selected.

Back