REDTOP engine conversion

G

GPGP

I am just wondering if anybody has had the balls to try and put the powerful 16v vauxhall redtop in a mark 2 micra. They are available off ebay at around the £300 mark and it would give the car about 180Bhp/ton + 185lbs/ton.
Questions:
1) What parts would be needed apart from engine? Eg new driveshafts, suspension etc.
2) Would it fit with a bigger radiator? A bit of welding needed!!!
3) Has anybody tried this before with any other engines, apart from a 1.3?

Just imagine the look on boy racers faces when a supposedly 1L micra kicks their ass!!!

How much is the sr20? I am not that up on nissan engines apart from the obvious turbos. Are they quite easy to convert? Cost if doing it myself? Any other parts needed? Wiring problems? Power/ Torque?
Cheers

not easy to convert, cost will be 6,000 plus, parts needed: engine, custom mounts and driveshafts, gearbox, ecu, wiring loom, probably need work doing to engine bay and other stuff, power: 140/150bhp torque ???? but getting anything bigger then a 1.6 in a micras difficult :(

Gotta love it, new member, first posts are asking if we have balls to do an engine conversion other than 1.3, clearly not looked around forum, plenty of 1.6's done or being done, few 2L in the works and people have discused 1.8, not to mention turbo's.

Am not trying to come acroos hostile but asking would you need a bigger radiator is something a noob would ask as you clearly would and we've had few people before come on and ask and say they're gonna do this and that then they never come back.

If you are planning on a conversion there's loads of threads to read, search "little bandit" for a working 2L and receworxs thread is very informative

If u read my post correctly, u will see that I asked if the engine would fit with a larger radiator, and not will a larger radiator be needed.
I may be a newbe, and only 21, but I am a Mech Eng Automotive student and have built 2 sub 4sec 0-60mph Locusts from scratch.(No manual involved)
I was only wondering if the Redtop would fit as there are many of them around for pennies and apart from the MI16 pug it is one of the fastest stock.

Sorry if I come across as a #### taker but it's just when new members first joing without an acyual introduction of who they are and what they're plans are most people are scepticle of person.

No one on here (that I know of in 3 years) has but any engine other than a Nissan engine in a Micra, people tend to do/try whats been done and works, if money was no problem am sure most would try other engines but you would be looking at at least over £5000 for an SR20 or redtop

yea i was thinkin of puttin a hummer engin in my car? think i would work?

if u want REDTOP in a small car go get a corsa?

or go back to corsa.net

there is a 2.0 vauxhall rally k11, a 2.0 ford rally k11, and a 2.0 lotus k12.
with the 2.0 conversions i seen the bulkhead has been changed to have engine further back. and for the ford fitted longitudinally and rear wheel drive.

I think he is just asking if the engine will actually fit in the bay. Anything will if you have the money to get it done.

Go easy on him FFS.

scottish-sr said:
I think he is just asking if the engine will actually fit in the bay. Anything will if you have the money to get it done.

Go easy on him FFS.

Gotta agree with u scottish-sr, he may know what goes where in an engine and how to build them, but doesn't know exactly what size the space under the bonnet in a micra is!!

Welcome btw GPGP!!!

i was talking about this with mates. and y stay nissan theyer hadly the best power to weight engines. anyone ever thought of lookin into 1.6 / 1.8 vtec's they seem pretty light and if they can be shoehorned into a mini. y not a micra

paul_k10_Lx said:
i was talking about this with mates. and y stay nissan theyer hadly the best power to weight engines. anyone ever thought of lookin into 1.6 / 1.8 vtec's they seem pretty light and if they can be shoehorned into a mini. y not a micra

There was a VTEC Mini at Knockhill. I would rather put a VTEC in a Micra than an SR20. Nissan do do good engines, but there are better ones out there.

Wonder if a Scooby engine would fit :p

goldstar0011 said:
I thought I saw a 2L rally K11 with a ford engine, weren't sure if imagined so didn't mention

seen it in the flesh :D it is a beast, search for autograss i posted pics not too long ago :) or am i thinking of something different ? hmm

oh and welcome GPGP to the club, good luck with the engine mods :) i would recommend an SR20 but it depends what you want it to do, you can get a CGA3de (1.4) engine up to about 140 BHP with a bit of money spent on it :)

Welcome to the MSC! Good luck with all this, there's gotta be a first time a transplant like that is done.

Just depends how much time and cash you wanna throw at it and im sure its achieveable

Good luck :)

100BHP per liter isnt that much to expect with development it would be acheivable.. the only reason i wouldnt do a red top is the fact it weigs so much.. there are laods of micras with ford engines Vauxhaull engines ect..

my freind built a locost it was awsome im still going to build one when im older..

Would it be better if you said that you was going to put your micra on a hummer engine.

danmicra said:
yea i was thinkin of puttin a hummer engin in my car? think i would work?

if u want REDTOP in a small car go get a corsa?

or go back to corsa.net

the best engine to put in any small car is the new Ford duratech engine,

this is why....

its made by Yamaha for mazda as their new "power" engine

its much much smaller and lighter than the Zetec engines it replaces...

the power output is something amaizing...160bhp as standard for the 2.0l (from the mondeo as taken from car without ancilliaries) with twin 45 weber carbs well over 220BHP.......

it is built like a motor bike engine and will rev to 10,000RPM de-restricted

with very mild tuning, like cams and head skimming with the carbs over 260bhp is available...

Cosworth managed to tweak over 420bhp out of one of the new Yamaha engines naturaly aspirated at nearly 11,000RPM.............

sod the Vtech honda crap...lol

In reference to my first post:
"I am just wondering if anybody has had the balls to try and put the powerful 16v vauxhall redtop in a mark 2 micra. They are available off ebay at around the £300 mark and it would give the car about 180Bhp/ton + 185lbs/ton.
Questions:
1) What parts would be needed apart from engine? Eg new driveshafts, suspension etc.
2) Would it fit with a bigger radiator? A bit of welding needed!!!
3) Has anybody tried this before with any other engines, apart from a 1.3?

Just imagine the look on boy racers faces when a supposedly 1L micra kicks their ass!!!"

Nothing in that quote said that I was going to do a micra engine conversion.
I only asked if the Red top ( or other performance engines for that fact ) could fit in.
There would be no point converting the engine whilst I am still at uni as the car has to travel 300 miles a week in mostly traffic.(And i am skint) My thoughts of a conversion would only get serious if my 1.0L engine had a serious problem whilst I was working. I was only asking if the redtop would fit in as there are plenty of them around at reasonable prices.( I have had a quick search for the SR20 on ebay and not much around unfortunalty, and not sure what price would be expected) The redtop would cause a lot of problems, mainly wiring, but if my car was going to be off the road anyway with a problem, I may aswell put in a badboy engine as I have all of the tools.

Where I live back home, the body kit is king. There are 1.2L corsas flying around like they own the place, dressed up with cheap GRP spoilers and neddy birds. The whole point of converting a micra is to make it look understated. ie Stock. In that way, at the traffic lights, when Mr Plastic fantastic pulls up and sees a 1L badge on the back of your 10 year old micra he will finally think he can race someone and win!!! So when he nails it away from the line with his bird smiling at you for having a "Girl's car", you will kick his ass big time!!!

I see no point in doing an engine conversion if you are then going to "do" up the outside with spoilers or stickers. This just gives the game away. In my experience of car racing you need to keep your cards close to your chest. This may mean debadging your car or giving out lower Bhp/Torque figures to people you know. An example of this would be a 1.9 205 GTi that has been converted to a full Mi16, and has 2 "1.6" badges on either side. Everybody would think this is a 1.6L with 1.9L alloys!!!

An amusing story:
My dad's friend had an old skool Integrale Evo 1 in Giallo yellow that was tuned to "around 400Bhp". After parking it in a highly populated "ned car" car park, all the neds ran over to ask if it was stock? He said "yes"!!! So the neds all jumped in their scoobies and pulsars and were going out to gun him down.(They all thought that the 0-60mph figure of 5.7sec for the grale was the best it could do!!!) My dads mate then proceeded at the national speed limits around the town, which really ####ed the neds off as they were wanting a race asap, and headed down the dual carriageway to the motorway. On the dual carriageway (50mph) the evos and scoobies gunned it and left the Lancia behind, as he was sticking to the speedlimit until the motorway. Once on the motorway at around 60mph they all floored it together and that was the last they saw of the grale. It absolutely inhialated them. Every weekend this happens to fast cars that are just passing by the town, some get eaten by the neds and some don't. The point of this story is:
1) There is always somenone with a faster car.
2) You can always out fox anyone, in any car!!! You just have to know how!!!

yeah sleeper cars are fun. I suppose a redtop could fit in if its not too big, would only be decent for drag racing though. are these engines carb'd ? basically im guessing your going have change or fabricate

Mounts engine and gearbox,
Drive shifts,
gear shifter,

and anything that i havent thought of ^_^. A 1.6 from an almera would be a lot easier as mount of the mounts line up already, and the loom isnt too different. A full exhaust on that see's over 120bhp iirc.

As for sleeper micras,

http://media.putfile.com/123--125

400ish BHP 2.0l turbo micra :)

i cant understand people that want a fast car that looks like a shed..whats wrong with making it look nice too?

JayY said:
thats the whole point of sleeper
The joys of Wikipedia hehe
Wikipedia said:
Owners may, in fact, reduce the evidence that their car is of high-performance by removing characteristic letterings and trimmings. Sleepers often contain stock body parts, a dull paint job, or stock or lookalike stock wheels.

Others deliberately create sleepers by hot-rodding a car's engine and drive axles and leaving the external appearance exactly the way it came from the factory. Sometimes hints of the car's true nature show if one looks and listens carefully: wider tyres, a lower stance, or a different engine note.

Some simply like having performance without show, but a more predatory use of the sleeper is in street racing, where it is used to fool an opponent into under-estimating a car's performance.

not making it look like a shed.

Don't take offence Rik, but by your comment I assume you mean stripping interior etc.

If a car has a stripped interior then imo it's not a sleeper.

A REAL sleeper looks standard, including interior and bodywork. There should be nothing that suggest otherwise other than wheels and the exhaust.

Sleepers are cool, there was a real sleeper at the Americana show at Tatton Park in Cheshire a few years back that left me awestruck, it was an everyday electric milk float, but instead of batteries under the rear deck it had a small block V8 chevy engine in there, the only outward signs of its underlying differences were the alloys and tail pipes coming out of the sides.

sonic said:
Sleepers are cool, there was a real sleeper at the Americana show at Tatton Park in Cheshire a few years back that left me awestruck, it was an everyday electric milk float, but instead of batteries under the rear deck it had a small block V8 chevy engine in there, the only outward signs of its underlying differences were the alloys and tail pipes coming out of the sides.
that has got to be quite notisable on a milk float.......and it would sound a littel diffrent!!!!

REDTOP???? this isn't a vauxhaul thing.. nissan have a REDTOP sr20de..

they have a black one... less powerfull than the red top and they have the BLUETOP VVL... most powerful of all...

Im fitting a REDTOP nissan block into my micra within 10 days... if they fit in... which they do... then the REDTOP vauxhaul will.

so a corsa with a 2.0ltr turbo running 300+ bhp..isnt a sleeper if it has a bodykit and flip paint......its not like a scooby is going to think oh ill not race him it looks fast

RIK said:
so a corsa with a 2.0ltr turbo running 300+ bhp..isnt a sleeper if it has a bodykit and flip paint......its not like a scooby is going to think oh ill not race him it looks fast

a sleeper car IMO looks stock on the outside, (doesn't matter about the inside) but i think if you spend sooo much money doing an engine convertion that you like it to look nice outside too, and like Rik said you only look as powerful as your make of car no matter how you try and dress it up.

Back