Red plastic part comes with upper tensioner

D

Dave-G

Hi guys. I'm a newbie who's missus has a micra 1.0 with a timing chain rattle. I have Googled a bit and also joined an aussie micra forum under the same member name.

I bought a new upper tensioner but have no idea what the red plastic part is that comes with it. Nor can I see how to get the tensioner piston all the way into it's cylinder when it's inserted, but can by twisting it before I insert it. Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance, Dave.

My Photo's are on a thread in that other forum here:

http://www.micra.com.au/community/message.php?messageid=27025

EDIT:

OK - figured out how the plastic part holds the tensioner retracted - but I can't get the thing to retract far enough to use it:down:

I've heard these have been updated - anyone tried an update version please?

HMM - could it be the famous well known timing chain rattle is nowhere near as widespread as some people say it is then? :laugh:

that red bit looks like its just a guide, like a spacer or somethin that you remove once the chain is on? Could be a fitting tool - never done a chain on one of these so couldnt tell you but thats what id go for m8

you need to turn the ratchet type thing inside the piston while it's out of the body, i think you can use a screw driver or something, turn it all the way and it should hold in the last cut out. then insert it into the body and fit it to the engine, once started the oil pressure will release the ratchet to where it should be.
i never used a red thing when i re-built my engine, so you probably wont need it. it definately isn't part of the engine or owt, so it must be some kind of fitting tool or checking device o_O

Swiper you are a star! Thanks bud - the amount of times I've had it all the way in, between finger and thumb, but not twisted it quite right at the last nib:doh:

The plastic part now fits as expected. I can't see how to upload a picture here so I have put it on that other forum.

These forums really do work - hope to help any of you guys out with any Galaxy problems sometime. ATB, Dave.

Swiper you are a star! Thanks bud - the amount of times I've had it all the way in, between finger and thumb, but not twisted it quite right at the last nib:doh:

The plastic part now fits as expected. I can't see how to upload a picture here so I have put it on that other forum.

These forums really do work - hope to help any of you guys out with any Galaxy problems sometime. ATB, Dave.

not a problem buddy, pleasure to help.

Back