Help! Problems with the new Micra!

Hello! I am desperately seeking some assistance in regards to my car, and someone from another more general forum directed me here.

Here's my story. About a month ago I purchased an otherwise decent 1995 Micra LX 1.3 from a private seller. The car came with most of the original documentation, 1 ignition key and 1 black remote (for the immobiliser).

Anyway, the car ran great from the start. However, after the first week, I noticed that I had to push the "unlock" on the immobiliser remote increasingly more to get it to disarm. Finally, a few days ago, after trying repeatedly, I was completely unable to disarm the immobiliser. In all other respects, the car still wants to start, and the engine tries to turn over, but can't because the immobiliser doesn't appear to respond to the remote anymore. When I press the "unlock" the car makes a systematic "clicking" noise like a switch is being turned on and off somewhere. I'm not sure whether that is related, but I thought I would add it.

My first approach was to consult the manufacturer's booklet that came with the car. The booklet suggested changing the battery in the remote and then pressing the "lock" button 4 times within range to reset the remote to the system. I tried this procedure several times with no success.

If it will help at all, the remote itself is pretty worn down cosmetically and it is fairly hard to push the "unlock" button. I took the remote out of the plastic casing to examine the buttons directly but, apart from the "unlock" micro-button being significantly worn down, there are no other external signs of damage.

The immobiliser itself continues to blink as it always has, and when you try to turn the key in the ignition or open the driver's side door, the light goes solid red, so the system is armed.

My second plan was to contact the local Nissan Dealer. At first the news was good. They only wanted £40 to reprogram my remote (granted, the Nissan booklet made no mention of having to have your remote "reprogrammed"). However, they indicated that they would not perform this service on-site so it would cost £190 to remove my car to the garage, since, for obvious reasons, I can't drive it there myself. This, of course, excludes any charges for "underlying issues" that Nissan might discover.

The bottom line to all of this is that I'm a student, and the price that Nissan suggested will cost me almost as much as the car, so, needless to say, that's not an option right now. I'm hoping that someone out there might have some other suggestions for what I can do at this point. I've contacted a few auto locksmiths in the area and one gave me a quote for £86 to completely replace and reprogram a new remote while the other told me that the remotes "don't simply stop working" and that I need to contact the Nissan Dealer because there is probably something else wrong.

I'm willing to pay the locksmith £86 if that if it means that my car will be able to start, but as the Nissan dealer effectively scared me by suggesting that there might be an "underlying issue", and due to the increasingly conflicting information I'm getting, I'm not sure what to do.

Has anyone run into this sort of problem before? I consider myself a fairly car-savvy lady when it comes to basic maintenance, etc, but as this appears to be beyond the scope of general work, I'm out of ideas. I've heard that fuses can be suspect or that it can be the immobiliser itself, etc etc.

I'd really love to still have a working car rather than being forced to sell it for spares but at this point this looks like the only option. Tragic for a car that I've only owned for a month and that, in all other respects, is mechanically sound.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)

Here is a photo of the remote, the key and a close-up of the inner part of the remote. Hope this helps!

dsc0001lh.jpg

dsc0003ynf.jpg

i think thats nats1, my old super s had that type and it was bypassed very easily when it failed (i dont know how tho :doh:) it might pay you to try the local guys again but explain its not the (very secure, chip in key) nats2

I'm nearly 100% positive it is NATS I as I'm pretty sure you can tell based on the remote? Anyway, the problem with Nissan is that they won't even look at the car for less than the £190 cost to remove it to their garage. My guess, based on experiences with dealers in the past, is that they'll remove it, charge a diagonostic fee and then apply surcharges to replace/repair the immobiliser rather than bypass it.

Do you know if smaller, local garages are willing to do a bypass? I can live with the insurance consequences of not having an immobiliser but I just need a car that runs! :D

i would try a local alarm fitter personally, mine had a little black box near the ecu (under the radio) and the sparky cut n shut some wires to bypass it (whereas nats2 resides inside the ecu i believe)

Thanks! So a general local auto alarm fitter should know and (hopefully) not charge excessively?

I've found quite a bit of information online from people who have successfully bypassed their nats1 and if I had a bit more technical courage, I'd try to do it myself.

Either way, I don't want to cause further damage, but am stuck cost-wise so it would be great to have someone who knows what they are doing and willing to do it for a reasonable cost.

I contacted 3 local fitters about helping me out and, so far, 2 have told me there's nothing they can do and to go to the Nissan dealer. :glare:

Is this normal? I keep getting referred back to the dealer who refuses to help for any less than £240!

i think you should have a crack at this :grinning:
have you found any info on the little black box near the ecu ?

I think I may try to have a go at it this weekend. :grinning:

From what I understand you need to remove the glovebox and heater motor to access the control unit. However, i think that once you disconnect, the process involves branching some wires which is what made me nervous about wanting to attempt it. :doh:

I think I may try to have a go at it this weekend. :grinning:

From what I understand you need to remove the glovebox and heater motor to access the control unit. However, i think that once you disconnect, the process involves branching some wires which is what made me nervous about wanting to attempt it. :doh:

i,m pretty sure this was my black box
http://www.micra.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14761&stc=1&d=1267125572
and it was located under the radio (near the ecu) :grinning:

Attachments

• SDC10225.JPG
    SDC10225.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 544
this may be the process, (but i dont think the box is behind the glovebox on a micra)

"this has been covered so may times now. NATS 1 ONLY.
Find and remove the NATS immu, behind glove box.
disconnect and link the following wires.
1&2
5&6
7&8

3&4 leave off.
you should now have disconnected your nissan antitheft ".

Thanks for the photo! :grinning:

My car doesn't even have the radio in it, so I was thinking I could just go in that way rather than through the glovebox. The info i found about nats1 was from this link: http://www.automotiveforums.com/t37748.html

on a micra K11 with nats 1, bepending on factory or accessory fitment, you can simply unplug the nats loom and control unit, and connect the origanal loom back in.

on a P10 primera, these where mostly factory fitted. again if you have the black fob with the 2 buttons, these can be bypassed quite easy. you will need to remove the glovebox and heater motor to gain exess to the nats control unit. ( located on the A pillar) when you disconnect the nats unit you will be left with the wiring loom connector. all you have to do is branch the coresponding wires with each other. and there you have disconected nats.

there was a adapter you could fit onto the loom when you had removed the nats control unit. dealers where surposed to return it to nissan as the adapter had a surcharge of £100.

Any other nats system you will need to know electrics very well to bypass.

A local tech offered today to do it for 50, but I'm going to have a crack at it myself first!

Yeah, might have to put an aftermarket one on there now after all this which will probably end up being more secure than the Nissan-fitted one. :laugh:

Thanks! I considered the button but the problem is that I don't have the tools to resolder on a new button and, even then, there's no guarantee that it would recognize.

Thanks for the thread link! However, I think the reprogramming methods in that link are for the nats2 and central locking systems rather than just the plain 'ol nats1 fob. Do correct me if i'm mistaken though!

Bad news! The local fitter came out this morning, and after completely dismantling the dash, he told me that he couldn't find the nats unit. I suggested that it was located under the heater motor, but he said "not on Micras it isn't".

Anyways, he said there isn't anything he can do but mentioned that the LED on the dash had been changed at some point.

So, I'm afraid I'm looking at scrapping the car. Which is horrid financial news for a student who just saved quite a bit to purchase a car the "reliable car" that I've only driven 4 times. :down:

naa boda (dont bother ) listening to the local twiter get your frend and you on a mission to get it done!! someone you know must have a soldering iron and know how to use it
hello
hello
you still there?

Back