Rear brakes now painted

cisco

» CMF Member
Allright, sorry no pics, but have just finished painting up my rear calipers gloss black VHT caliper paint to match the front.

This paint really does a tremendous job. And the finish seems to last and stay glossy, just need to give the brakes the odd clean, but the paint makes the dirt come off a lot easier too.

I think the most important part is the preparation. I spent a lot of time pulling the calipers apart, soaking them in petrol, scrubbing all the dirt and loose rubbish off them with a toothbrush, using degreaser etc etc. Until all you are left with is a dry, grippy, clean metal surface.

They are drying overnight and tomorrow they go back on, and yay I will have a handbrake once again.

That's the last of the mods/repairs I had to do, so Monday off she goes to get all the pipework fixed up and back on the road soon.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
2 days ago i painted my rear drums in hammerite black. did it very quick with no preperation,slapped it on as i didnt want my new drums to rust anymore as they had gone brown. forgot about the drums getting hot though. i used normal paint. even after some heavy driving though it hasnt burnt off and looks fine and tidy. will have to see if it stays on. i did remember not to paint on the wheel studs which is a bonus.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah black looks good I reckon. Sounds good.

Got the handbrake all hooked back up now. All back in place. And brand new RDA discs and black calipers looking good.

We've just come through a complete brake overhaul. And it feels awesome to see the brakes all working. Hello painted black non-ABS big brakes big booster.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
need to get hold of one of them boosters. i have just had goodridge braided hoses fitted all round. really makes a difference, can feel the extra power in the pedal. also got filled up with motul racing brake fluid.

cisco

» CMF Member
Really? So you can really notice braided lines?

I'm interested, because I've considered them.

A lot of people tell you that its hardly noticable, but if you reckon it is, then that's good. I've always found my brakes a bit spongy for my ideal liking.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
yes i wasnt expecting it to be that different. but aswell as pedal feeling more direct and less spongey i felt that my braking forces had increased also. i am happy with them.
i'm still having the endless task of setting up the brake bias though. finding the sweet spot between front or rears locking is proving quite tricky. i think the standard valve adjuster is useful to have but seems like i have a mm or two to play with on where it should be. definately i find fronts locking up 1st is a lot better/safer/quicker than the rears. i think the drums are spoiling my setup.

Back