Smoking Brakes, Mmm Mmm. Pulsar brakes needed?

CMF_modular

» CMF Member
Hi all.
After 5 minutes of enthusiastic downhill driving I noticed an eerie smoke emanating from the front brakes while stopped at the bottom of the hill. Needless to say the brakes weren't working too well at this point.

Question: Are my brakes shagged. Warped rotors etc?
The brakes still feel okay but I feel a little uncertain every time I need to stomp on the brakes now.

I know there are a lot of people who have put pulsar brakes on their micras and am considering the cost benefit of such a conversion, given that I'd be paying for parts & labor.

Question: How much for a pulsar brake upgrade?

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
happened to my mates auto cressida, he had it in neutral and had his foot on the brake to control his speed

if you had pressure on the brakes whilst going downhill it will do that, must of been a very long hill tho, but instead drop a gear to reduce your speed and feather the brakes, dont hold them on all the time as they can smoke, this is all cars in general.

a pulsar brake upgrade wont help with that situation, unless you want to upgrade for pure stopping power. rotors and brakes from a pulsar could set you back round $200

go to the wreckers you should be able to find something there

CMF_modular

» CMF Member
lam.666 WROTE:

if you had pressure on the brakes whilst going downhill it will do that, must of been a very long hill tho, but instead drop a gear to reduce your speed and feather the brakes, dont hold them on all the time as they can smoke, this is all cars in general.

I was driving pretty hard so gearing down anymore was out of the question.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
lam.666 WROTE:

"happened to my mates auto cressida, he had it in neutral and had his foot on the brake to control his speed
Sorry guys a little offtopic but...

Oh my god.

I cannot believe there's people on the roads like this. This actually scares that I share the roads with numbskulls like this.

Neutral = not in proper control of the vehicle! Also neutral in an auto while coasting = phucked transmission. Oil is not circulating throughout the transmission when in neutral.

Back to the topic - you've probably glazed your pads and rotors. theres a good chance they'll start squeaking nicely in a few days. Perfect oppertunity to upgrade to some pulsar brakes. You'll need the calipers, rotors and pads. Along with that you may need some high tensile washers to space the pulsar calipers off the rotors. Its a very easy modification and has excellent results.

Plus looks pretty cool if you've got the rims to show it off. :)

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
At speed (say 100km/hr) with light braking you'll notice shuddering from the front if you've sucessfully warped the rotors.

Coasting down hill in neutral around corners? hard enough to get brake fade = crash test dummy. Pity the oncoming traffic.

Back