Re-wiring aeral cable

Tom Messy

Ex. Club Member
(1995 Pre-facelift K11)

I'm having to re-wire the aerial cable, as my standard cable is shot for one reason or another. I'll probably get a new standard aerial too if I can find one as my one is bent and the connections are naff. My question is, can I just use standard aerial cable to re-wire it? I've noticed the center section of the wire I have is slightly thicker than the standard. It is also just one copper-colour strand, rather than several thin silver strands. Will this be OK to use, or is there another type I would need to get?

Is there a plug for the radio-end that I will need to get, or can I wire it back into the original plug?

Also, does anything connect to actual metal retractable antenna itself, or does it just slide up and down it's tube freely? At the moment is just slides all the way out. I'm assuming at the moment the thicker wire around the outside of the cable is the ground and fixes to the bodywork, and the thin core wire connects to the little wire in the holder that the antenna slides through?

Many thanks, I know there's a few questions in there! :wasntme:
Tom

Back