random smoke and rattle?

Simonh

Midlands Rep
yestersay was not a good day for my car. went out for a large cruise with friends. must of done about 140 miles. (large for me) firstly when i went through a ford (stream across a road) smoke came from both sides of my bonnet which was quite strange. and secondly later on in the day i noticed a rattle. now it has got really bad. you can hear it as soon as u turn the engine on. also sometimes when im slowing down and when i use the clutch i hear like a grinding/buzzing noise and it seems to be coming from the same place. the noise seems yo be coming from behind where the engine is but infront of the middle of the car? any ideas?

simon

the buzzing noise will probably be the thrust bearing on the clutch, does the rattle get louder when you rev it ?

no worries people. just went to a mechanic who is a friend of the family and he says its the heatshield. so its time to rag it off. i think i just need a 10mm socket to get it off dont I? anyone else done it? can anyone supply a pic of where it is? and also is there a downside to taking it off?

AS far as i know, there's no downside. I think i posted when i took mine off and took some pictures.. Give me a sec.

Just realised, my picture was posted during the server hack so it's gone now.. lol.
I think when mine rattled it was the gear lever return spring that had snapped so that hung down and vibrated on the heatshield.. Might be worth checking that spring too once you have the heatshield off :)

My primary cat shield on me old 1.0 rusted loose on one side and sheared rusty bolt on other side so i just bent it like billio til it snapped off.

one of my nuts (on the heatsheild, lol) wouldnt come off, and when i ragged it off it ended in a trip to the hospital to sew my thumb together - so be careful!

Back