rattle

i have a rattle on idle speed coming from under car
i thought it might be the heat sheild on the cat and removed it , but still the rattle is there
i went back under the car and were the exhaust connects to the cat it seems to have an outr casing over the exhaust pipe with a small slit all the way. i could get my screwdriver in it and moved it a little and it sounded just like the rattle i can hear

anybody know what it is and how i can remove it or fix it so it dont rattle anymore plz

sorry car is a super s

The heat guard,? A silver piece of metal, usually rust coloured.. hehe. Sits on the exhaust manifold.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

what u nean use gum gum ?
the exhaust aint got a hole in it
its like there is some sort of tubeing around the down pipe but it not a full tube its only halfway round it

the heat sheild? bolts on with 4 (i think) bolts over the exhaust mani? if its that then im pretty sure there should be a gap, but neither componnent should be able to move enough to vibrate, especially against each other.
check the bolts if they've rusted through like mine did then the heat sheild could just be flappin about a bit when the engine starts pounding, hence vibrating an causing some noisyness in which case just a case of replacing with identical bolts, jus make sure they're copper greased first tho :p

as said in posts before i have removed the heat sheild ( yes there was 4 boltrs i removed these and the sheild came away wasn't that, that was making noise )
but like i said from the down pipe to the cat over the exhaust there seems to be a outer casing to the exhaust, not a full caseing it has a small slit all the way down it, were i can fit a screwdriver into it, i forced it apart a little and shook it and it sounds like the rattle ( and before anyone says its not the exhaust that is split, its fully sealed not blowing or anything like that )
sorry guys if i cant explain what i mean proper.
i finish work today at 3pm so if it aint raining, i am gonna get the car up on ramps and take a pic of what i mean and post it here or even better still have a poke around again and see what is happening

hehehe sorry mate, not too sure what you mean by that, gonna jump under teh car, have a gander see if i can identify :p (that is if my car has similar exhaust,)

its
what u nean use gum gum ?
the exhaust aint got a hole in it
its like there is some sort of tubeing around the down pipe but it not a full tube its only halfway round it

its called many things :p its probably some sort of shield. Find away to secure it?

No I meant use it to cure some rattle, secure the protective shields if moving and rattling. I can only offer suggestions matey :)

Mine had a rattle, and took it for an MOT test and service today.

You know what it was?

The bonnet grommits weren't screwed in firmly enough so the bonnet was shaking with the engine.
He screwed them up, and no more vibrating and metallic rattling.

ok been under car and looked everywere

it seems that just were the downpipe comes down from engine, wrapped around the exhaust pipe is another pipe
looks like some sort of heat shield it is bolted on in 6 places
i have had my screwdriver in the gap between exhaust and this shield and the rattle stops
anyone got any idea's on what to do next as i don't want to remove this heat shield as i have already removed the 1 further down under the car

???????

I don't have this heat shield on mine anymore and the replacement exhaust pipes you get don't have them so I left it off and had no problems mate , its the down pipe from the cat heat shield yeah?

Back