Radiator Flushing, block drain plug

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
put it around edge of thermostat, and around edge of 90d fitting pipe. i had to wait for ages for mine to dry, left it overnight. was still not really dry in morning, i used blue loctite stuff. have you got some that you wiped somewhere? i checked the piece of paper that i wiped the tip with too see it if was dried on it.

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
Cool mate. cheers.

That's what I did the second time around.

The first time I had nowhere near enough. Well there is plenty of excess that squashed out the side of the housing that I can test how dry it is.

cisco

» CMF Member
Allright, just topped up the coolant.

Its all full now, and this time, yay the thermostat housing is a super tight seal - no leaks. All dried 100%, left it over night.

Ran the car for 15 minutes and warmed it up. Could notice at a certain point the thermostat kicked in and that rubber pipe turned pressurised and got very warm. That's a good sign.

Towards the end of the car sitting there idling for all that time.. Still getting some small bubbles coming up out of the overflow tank, so not sure. Only small and 100% look like air bubbles. Actually those only happened once the thermostat was open. So a fair chance they could just be air trapped within the system escaping once the thermostat had opened up (because the aftermarket thermostats don't have that tiny air hole like the stock Nissan ones have.

Well I hope that's what it was.. Will go and top up the coolant in a sec, and then run it once again and see if the bubbles eventually disappear. Hopefully they will.

They definately seem like different bubbles. These are clearly air bubbles coming out from the overflow line and passing up through the coolant and venting out the top. Where as before it was like the coolant was just sitting there boiling kind of thing.

I am predicting that before the thermostat was shot, causing the overheating and therefore boiling type bubbles.

Now that its all been replaced, this is just air bubbles trapped inside, being released...

Will confirm!

cisco

» CMF Member
YEE HAAH!

Well, I owe White Knight an extra beer at the Canberra meet.

Just went out there, opened the radiator lid to allow any built up air to release.. (because of the bubbles mentioned in previous post)..

Needed a fair bit of coolant and water to top it up. Did that, also topped up the overflow tank.

Started the engine with both radiator and overflow caps removed. Soon after starting, noticed coolant expanding and starting to come out of the top of radiator.. So I put the cap on.. And let it pressurise and do its thing..

Let the car fully warm up. Let the fan come on. Then fan went away again, then let fan come back on again. Then go off again. Raced the engine to 3000rpm a few times. Let it sit again.

NO BUBBLES AT ALL ANY MORE. Absolutely would have been bubbling heaps of coolant out the overflow tank by now. This has for certain eliminated the problem.

WRAPPED! Its really fixed the problem. I know its not going to come back because it bubbled easily by now before.

So there ya go. Shot thermostat.. So after replacing that, air bubbles initially bubbling out the top. So just let things cool down and release the radiator cap once again. Now no bubbles.

Good on ya for the suggestion White Knight!

You learn and pick up more things as you go don't you. If this happened next time, I would immediately know what to check.

Another pain in the arse little thing out of the way. Will be keen to see how the engine runs and where the temp sits next time I drive it.

Back