Radiator Flushing, block drain plug

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
I've got some new Salmon Pink Toyota Coolant to put in the micra. After reading haynes i need to find the cylinder block drain plug to get all the old coolant out.Anyone know where this is?

cheers,

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah, even the official Nissan workshop manual only advises to undo the bottom radiator hose mate, but to use soft water a few times repeating the process to flush everything out (after starting and warming up the engine, then racing the engine a couple of times) until when you drain it, only clear water comes out (without any trace or green coolant colour left in it). Once you've done that, its all gone and put the new pink stuff in.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
well, flushing went well. Hose came off easy as, didn't spill a drop outside of the bucket. Currently filled with demineralised water, wating to cool down as i had ot run to the shops. Soon she'll have her fresh blood :p

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
Eww yeah forgot to mention that. definately heater needs to be on hot setting, manual says that for sure.

Takes me about 5 or so flushes until clear water is coming out. Its not just a 1 or 2 flush process normally.

I wouldn't waste time your removing the thermostat mate, just do some more flushes with the heater on and it will be fine.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
heater was on whole time :p

i pulled the thermostat, much easier now,

so its all flushed. Just picked up thermostat to goup up and put back in...Its still open. about 2-3mm open, tested in pot on stove, seem to operate normally, just dosnt close up. Rubber around the closing part is all cracked falling apart too.

haynes says it should be renewed, meant to open at 82D, (it is an orignal nissan thermostat, and it has 82 stamped on it)

called nissan, non in austrtalia, have to come from europe > 2wks $44,

so im off to have a look at aftermarket ones,

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
That's great to know. Mind if I ask how much they are from Repco? Is it a perfect fit i.e. just another brand that makes it specifically for the micra?

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
$15 from repco. The nissan one has a little one way thing inbuilt to stop air getting trapped at the thermostat when cold i think, meh not really sure what it does, lol. it would stop any air bubles when refilling though. Silicon is still like it was when i put it on, bah, going to fill it up tomorrow morning,

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
yes, perfect snug fit. It came with two multifit paper gaskets. i didn't use either, it was siliconed before and haynes said to use silicon. I think the gaskets would space the cover out too far, and you would still need silicon on it,

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
Entire micra themostat for just $15??? Or is this just some part of the thermostat? If its the whole thing, that is an absolute bargain. Well done guys.

cisco

» CMF Member
Great to know - cheers. You blokes are onto it.

As I think White Knight once suggested - let's make a new page which lists where you can get any oem replacement parts, their part numbers, approximate costs and where from etc. Like a catalogue now that the micra is getting older. I would add in my 50c cooling system O-ring from the irrigation shop.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
yeh, sounds good cisco, just goota get onto it when i got some spare time.

Alex

Attachments

• 16526.jpg
    16526.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 28

cisco

» CMF Member
Great thread. Thanks Alex.

Very suspicious of mine now after some advice from White Knight.

Going to ring repco with your part number and order one just to replace it regardless. Definately due for it in any case.

I can't think of any other random reasons why my car would be constantly boiling coolant and it coming out bubbling hot without any gunk or crap showing up in the overflow tank.

Cheers!

cisco

» CMF Member
Just cracked and ripped it out of the car to inspect:

Looks like the original one off the old UK engine. It says ENGLAND.

Its not the one off the Japanese engine.

Hmm.

The rubber looks a bit grotty and old. It also felt a bit stuck and there was an initial resistance that I overcame then heard a bit of a click before I could move the spring. Will replace it regardless with the same one you got Alex.

Housing looks perfectly fine and zero corrosion which is good.

Attachments

• 17099.jpg
    17099.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 30

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
See the 92 stamped on the end? That is the temp it should open. When the coolent cools it should close. If you want a rough test suspend in a pan of water heat and just before it boils it should open then as the water cools it should close.
Could be what your overflow problem is Cisco.My temp gauge did not vary , if it did maybe for a very short period,which I did not notice and this was enough to send the coolent temp high enough to put a surge of coolent into the overflow tank.
So feel mine was sticking now and then.By the time the fan kicks in its well too late maybe to stop a bit of coolent surge.
Anyway new thermostat solved my problem.

cisco

» CMF Member
Great idea. I'll go and put it in some water and start to boil it now.. Should open a bit before the boil then.. Will advise in a few minutes!

cisco

» CMF Member
See all the ratty rubber edging around mine? Is that meant to be a nice rubber film or something? Or is it gunk off the coolant?

Its kinda grey in colour and very soft.. Just falls off the thing..

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
yeh my rubber was all cracked, but it was black not grey.

to properly test the thermostat is must be suspended in hot water not sitting on the bottom absorbing all the heat, i used some fishing line,

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
Well it definately opened what looked like reasonably all the way open..

The outer rubber film stuff is all gone, like rotted and fallen off etc.

And the inner black rubber O-ring is all cracked..

But apart from that, it seems to open up fine...

Did yours stay open or shut Alex?? Or just had bad rubber?

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Now when the water cools it should shut.If there are bits of rubber like gunk coming away that should be evident in the coolant either in the overflow or if you remove the radiator cap floating on the top.
I found bits of rubber like stuff floating on the top of my coolant in the radiator.All of it from the stuffed thermostat.
I did not test my old one but remember years ago doing the test.

cisco

» CMF Member
Sweet - ok thanks for the info..

Kinda weird. Mine seems to function fine, but rubber all over the place and not in good condition. Also: what's the say its not opening all the way, or not opening or shutting fast enough or at the right temp etc. I didn't have a thermometer to see what temp it was all happening at.. Will replace regardless and see what happens.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
mine opened and closed up kinda properly, but it just didn't close all the way. black rubber was in very poor condition,

you should have a thermometer with that jaycar multimeter you got cisco? not like it matters anyway, just throw another in to be sure,

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
Allright. Just rang repco. They have this model thermostat in stock.

Will duck in and pick one up today.. $14.50

Hey Alex, what silicon stuff do I need? Is that just to seal the housing onto the side of the head with? You don't need to put any inside with the thermometer obviously etc?

cisco

» CMF Member
Got the thermostat. Thanks for the model number Alex.

Also got some Loctite automotive grey maxx sealant gasket maker stuff.
For sealing thermostat housings with. PERFECT :)

Will go and slam it on in a sec.

cisco

» CMF Member
Its all installed now. Gee isn't it awesome when a place has exactly what you need in stock.

I'm just waiting for the silicone to set before topping up the coolant levels now..

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
cisco WROTE:

"Its all installed now. Gee isn't it awesome when a place has exactly what you need in stock.

haha its funny because its true when we're talking micras.

My local repco wasnt sure what a micra was heh. Asked me if it was a Mitsubishi!

cisco

» CMF Member
Heh yeah fair enough.

Doh. Looks like I didn't put enough silicon stuff all around it. Topped up the coolant and it was dribbling out of the bottom of the housing..

So off with it all again, cleaned it all up again, dried it etc.

New round of sealant, a fair bit more this time, and all over everywhere (within reason :) ).

Now just letting that set again.

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey Alex,

How long did you let yours set for before topping the coolant up?

Oh and where did you put the silicon stuff? And how much etc?

Thanks!

Back