quick question on insurance

caphj7

Buy & Sell Member
hi, what sort of money do people pay for their insurance premiums and who are they with? i have seen that many people have a alloy wheels, exhaust systems and lowered suspension here in the club so i was just curious of what people pay. i am 18 and i have a 1985 micra k10 GL with 15 inch alloy wheels, rage st3 backbox and the rear windows tinted. would these tend to affect my premium a lot? thanks adam

i'm on bike carbs a 4-2-1, lowerd, and body kit. the best quote i got with the car standard was £1700!!! and with mods £2200 that was adrian flux third party fire and theft. i dont know why its so expensive i've been to every insurance company going. its the same for a few of my freinds in the area, my mate has a renault 5 1.4 and the cheapest he could get was £2500! snd that is with the car completly standard. its just rediculous yet after just 1 years no claims and being 19 the quote is over half! they really do take the micheal out of 17-18 year olds!

to be fair you cant blame them when you think about how some cocky people drive, i know most of us here do drive carefully but its the majority thats the problem

my cars in my dads name on his policy fully comp and completley standard £1600

for me to have my own policy on the micra would be £2700 cheapest fully comp

When i was 19 i paid £1600 for my first ever insurance policy on my micra, im now 25 and pay under £300. It's only a few years of pain but unfortunately the odds are stacked against all young males aged 17-20, statistics don't lie

19, 2 YNCB, backbox and springs declared, 700 TPFT.
Adrian Flux.
Anything you didn't declare? ;)

I'm currently paying around £650 -> £700 with 2 years no claims. No claims was got with a provisional. It shot up from around £400 to £650 when I passed my test...Wondering what a modified flywheel will do to my premium. :wow:

mine at the moment is 367.75 with e-car i`m a 24 year old soldier with 1 years ncb and the car`s kept at my parents in a good post code but i`m going to see what sky insurance can do for me.

to be fair you cant blame them when you think about how some cocky people drive, i know most of us here do drive carefully but its the majority thats the problem

my cars in my dads name on his policy fully comp and completley standard £1600

for me to have my own policy on the micra would be £2700 cheapest fully comp

thats illegal mate! its called fronting
(yes i know loads of people do it but the insurance companies are getting wise to it!)
ok if you get away with it but if your insurance company catch on they can nullify your insurance, with all the resulting problems

What sort of mods push up insurance premiums anyway? Anything? New stereo? New Speakers? What?

I've always wondered.

Anythign that'l add to the value of your car.

Performance mods - more likely to crash
Bodywork/alloys - more likely to be stolen

And the only thing i haven't declared is my induction kit. I just forgot to mention it at the time, doubt it would make any difference.

ok if you get away with it but if your insurance company catch on they can nullify your insurance, with all the resulting problems

Yer but where would they get solid evidence. and tbh i've never known a soul to get had by the insurance for that!

thats illegal mate! its called fronting
(yes i know loads of people do it but the insurance companies are getting wise to it!)

Is it still illegal if the car was registered to his dad, and he was down as a named driver? I wouldn't imagine it is, and quite an easy way to save yourself hundreds.. as long as you go with a provider that allows named drivers to build up their no claims.

My Micra - 24 / 4 years ncd. Declared alloys, backbox, manifold, optional bodykit, tints & stereo (£2000) and my policy was £300 a year. That was with Tesco.

I stared with direct line at age 20 on a provisional license,
Was about £1700 then for comprehensive on my standard K10 1.0

now Im 30 :-( (hang on a minute...how did that happen?)...same car....maxed out NCB, Pass Plus and studying towards RoSPA Advanced Gold...with the following mods declaired is £220 TPFT:

Handling:
Lowered -35mm
bigger front steel wheels
Wider, Low profile tyres all around

Performance:
Back seats out:
+25bhp Max WON Nitrous Oxide system in
4-2-1 full stainless exhaust system in

Bling:
MSC club stickers and RoSPA Advanced Drivers and Riders Northeast Stickers

...I recently enquired about raising the nitrous system by another +25 bhp (+50 in total)...they will add 25% to my premium for this if I go ahead. £275 TPFT

What sort of mods push up insurance premiums anyway? Anything? New stereo? New Speakers? What?

I've always wondered.

unfortunately we're at the mercy of those people who design the statistical risk assessment programs that brokers and underwritewrs use for the premiums
and unfortunately some of the highests ststistically at risk hot cakes are "young males...new licence.....low or NO NCB...modifications"...so for most of us these are a quadruple whammie!

The best thing we can all do is our best to do anything that lowers the risk of having to make a claim.....in other words lowering the risk of being involved in a minor bump or major RTC....and lower the risk of being a target for vandles and theives.

Also you could consider TP only policies for year or three and put the saved money towards lowering the risk of fire, theft, vandalism, and own fault dammage.

i'm on bike carbs a 4-2-1, lowerd, and body kit. the best quote i got with the car standard was £1700!!! and with mods £2200 that was adrian flux third party fire and theft. i dont know why its so expensive i've been to every insurance company going.

have you tried fluxes "modified vehicles" policies?

Back