Questions regarding exhausts for k11

I've been looking at getting my exhaust back box changed for something a little more sporty, and wanted to know what people on here either have experience with or are more knowledgeable about.

I'm after an exhaust that's not crazy loud, but offers a nice rumble at the same time. From what I gather the rally exhausts (even though they offer performance enhancements) are seriously loud. So I'm probably going to stay clear of them lol.

Also, i've seen some small diameter exhausts that rattle windows, yet larger ones that sound less aggressive. I've always thought that the larger the diameter, the louder the sound. Am I wrong about that?

In any case, there seem to be so many exhausts to consider. A little advice/guidance would be really appreciated :)

btw, what's the difference between the HKS Hi-Power and Hi-Power Silent exhausts? Obviously, the silent one is probably quieter, but anyone know exactly how quiet. I've had a look on youtube and there are some hondas, subarus, a toyota and even a lancer evo IX clips showing the silent exhaust off. How much of the sound in those clips is from just the exhaust and how much is likely from the type of engine setup? How accurate would the sound in those clips be if a K11 micra had the silent exhaust fitted?

Hi ivawart, not necessairly the bigger the diameter the louder they are, its all to do with what baffles and silencers are within the back box to determine sound. If your just modidying the back box any exhaust will not be too loud. On what backbox to get, i couldnt tell you. Have you searched for micra exhausts on youtube?

Mild steel janspeed would be my preferred choice :) for not being to big or loud

cc50a856.jpg

from my experiance an aftermarket backbox doesnt really make any noise diffrance, ive had an ashley comp back, 4'' jap can and a cherry bomb... along with sevral other on diffrent car over time. i wasnt impressed.

yet a 2" cat back system with a jap 4" backbox is loud...

the diameter of the pipe work does make a diffreance to noise!

also silancers do make a diffreance also...

at the moment i'am running a full standard system with the cats knocked through, a 1.0 centre section with no silancer (doesnt make any diffreance with a 1.3 centre section with silancer!) and a cherry bomb backbox... its not very loud to some exhaust's i have had. it gets louder up the rev range though but not silly. pops and bangs nice aswell :)

still not loud engough for me tho.... :S

Back