Another brake upgrade completed.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Well another one done.

-N15 Pulsar 1.6L calipers (Akomono type, $70 for the 2 of them off a 1999 model with 100,000km)
-Relliance disc brakes ($112 for the 2 of them, brand new) -Lucas pads to suit said calipers ($68 for 2 pairs, new)
-x4 ~1.9mm thick stainless washers ($2.60)
-1L Fuchs DOT4 brake fluid ($15)
-Black brake paint ($15)
-x2 cans of brake cleaner ($12)

Total: ~$295.

Fitment: 3 hours @ night including full brake bleed on all 4 corners.

Performance: Bedding them in and almost plastering yourself on the dashboard.. Priceless.

cisco

» CMF Member
Looks great. Definitely a very worthwhile upgrade.

Well done!

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Well I went for a drive to get some food last night and I'm very happy so far. Pedal feels much more confident in its operation. Seems to be VERY progressive and particularly easy to control. You keep pressing the pedal and the braking power just keeps on coming. You can drive this setup smoothly unlike the old setup I had (which was no doubt related to the pads.. I still can't figure out what front pads it had I'm thinking EBC Greenstuff. Either way I won't ever get whatever they are again because compared to these lucas pads they were ASS.

Bias feels way out, the front end nose dives under the slightest braking much more than it used to. Will have to work on the rears I think. PReferably some pads with more bite like the bendix ultimates but they're not made for the rear end. So unless I can upgrade them to say Pulsar spec rear brakes.... haha this could get expensive very quickly. Might just have to put lucas pads on there again. The current lucas pads are of the old compound.

I want the rear to actually have some squat while braking! The rear end kicking up and ABS kicking in on all 4 wheels because the rear ones decided to lock up due to a lack of weight is a pain in the ass. If I can keep the rear end down under braking the ABS won't kick in as easily which will be safer for street driving, especially wet weather.

Back