Puff the magic ST

smidge

Small Car Enthusiast
Site Supporter
so i start the car this morning after a pretty short drive last night and a really cold night tonight

and out of the bonnet scoop i get a little puff of exhaust smoke

crack the bonnet open and there's no noticable leak but there's a strong smell of exhaust i haven't noticed before

any idea what could be going on?

Any unusual sound when it puffed? Sounds like its firing ok??

I would probably take the heat shielding off and run it for at least a good 15 mins and just keep a close eye around the manifold and turbo. If it really is exhaust fumes and its coming out the top then there has to be a leak around there somewhere.

As you know I'm no expert but going by what I've seen with my engines, around the manifold might be a good place to start. My spare needs to have all those surfaces machined before I do anything withit coz they were pretty trashed (there's no way they were sealed properly last time it was fired up)...could be something similar. Hopefully its nothing too awful.

yer mate when i brought my st i took the heat sheild off and the 4 nuts off the turbo on to the downpipe were loose ... so check these i would man

linz you win mate... the top bolt was totally missing and one of the others a little loose... there was all this white powedery stuff where the fumes had been hitting the heat shield

did an oil change today so not sure if it feels better cause of that or cause its not losing any pressure out of the dump but either way she seems to be running pretty good

if only i could sort out my oil in the radiator issue the ST would be running 100% and i could get it tuned properly for some POWAH!

linz you win mate... the top bolt was totally missing and one of the others a little loose... there was all this white powedery stuff where the fumes had been hitting the heat shield

did an oil change today so not sure if it feels better cause of that or cause its not losing any pressure out of the dump but either way she seems to be running pretty good

if only i could sort out my oil in the radiator issue the ST would be running 100% and i could get it tuned properly for some POWAH!

Yeah Marty they all work there way loose over time, happened my 2 st's!

Whats happening with the oil? Did you do a sniff test on the coolant?

gotta take it to the shop to get it checked out

luckily i've got a spare turbo now if it is that!

what do you guys do about head gaskets these days if they fail? are we screwed? (just in case thats my issue!)

ahh so my guess was right thats good... about the head gasket i would just get 1 made . i know a really good fabricator who could do a perfect job with his waterjet machine. so don't worry if it has gone we will sort it mate(Y)

gotta take it to the shop to get it checked out

luckily i've got a spare turbo now if it is that!

what do you guys do about head gaskets these days if they fail? are we screwed? (just in case thats my issue!)

A lad up the north of Ireland got a copper one made and its a great job,I think its reuseable aswell as far as I know

yeah righto, so you give them the head and they use it to make up a custom jobby then

yeah righto, so you give them the head and they use it to make up a custom jobby then

Use to original gasket as a template ??I'm not 100% how they do it.. . .

Its one of the things holding back mine from making more power,head gasket and injectors and a remap with 1.4-1.5bar boost:laugh: Their might be a loud BANG though:down:

yer or he old gasket as long as its not got big pieces missing out of it.
it does not matter if its got a split or crack he could still make a good replacement.
and you dont want to really 2 be shipping your head across the world mate.

yer or he old gasket as long as its not got big pieces missing out of it.
it does not matter if its got a split or crack he could still make a good replacement.
and you dont want to really 2 be shipping your head across the world mate.

I'm sure They have machine shops in Aus that could easily do it:laugh:

Back