Problems With the ST

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
Ok as you all know the ST is running now, and i have now encountered a few strange problems.

Took it for a run today and noticed that when i use any boost the engine splutters and misfires slightly, having looked at the spark plugs and HT leads i have found this on the magical 3rd cylinder:

DSCF5457.jpg

DSCF5458.jpg

It has not melted all the way thorough the insulation but i may find this is the cause of the misfire? i will see tomorrow.

Also i left the car to cool for about 30 mins and came back, the top of the radiator was still very highly pressurised (i could just tell), and when it had finally de-pressureised and i could take the rad cap off i stook my hand over where the rad cap should be and started the engine, looking in the expansion tank i could see bubbles appear (this happened last time my head gasket went!)

Steve

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Leads

Alright man ,

See those leads, throw them in the bin, they are not worth a shhhiiiteee!!

Order a set of Blueprint figaro leads,they are the best quality leads bar nissan ones that i have come across and they will fit the st, check the 4 plugs,if she's missing bad it can damage the engine.If the leads are melted they are ####. As regards the water bubbling in the expansion bottle buy a "sniff test" kit it takes a sample of you coolant and if it turns a certain colour that means there is conbustion gases in your cooling system and will diagnos the h/g failure. It should not have failed though

anyway you can get a vid of this?

Baz

MLC2

Ex. Club Member
That leads not nice! I'd check your exhaust manifold is sealing ok and there are no cracks in it.

Listen for a 'tick tick' noise from escaping gasses around the manifold. Have a look for any signs of black soot around it, but as its been run so little you may not see any even if it has been blowing.
Did you use a new gasket on it, and did you notice if the manifold was warped?

OP
OP
imp124

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
I know why the lead melted and was completely my fault for using the wrong leads.

I took the ST out for another 3 mile run today and waited on a car park for it to get warm, didnt seem to over heat and seems to run ok, on a little boost also, cant see any coolant loss, white steam in the exhaust, water on the oil cap, BUT still bubbles in the expansion tank!!!

I just dont want to keep running it like last time and totally destroy it, but the only way to know for sure is take the head off. And as Ed has said if the head gasket has gone already i have something seriously wrong somewhere.

Worst comes to the worst i will just have to take it apart and try again, not the end of the world, keeping my hopes high and chin up :D

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
is it missfiring at all when it first starts cold/stuck in traffic etc? Thats happened to my ST on every occasion the HG has blown.

Baz

Ex. Club Member
is it missfiring at all when it first starts cold/stuck in traffic etc? Thats happened to my ST on every occasion the HG has blown.
What was the reason Ed, I was going to call you today on Steve's behalf and ask would you look at it as favour?Steve has spent a fortune and needs a hand at this stage. If I was you I would offer. . . .If you want to tell me where to go thats fine.

OP
OP
imp124

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
On startup it does misfire slightly, but always has since the rebuild as the compressions were uneven. In traffic it misfires very slightly too, just cant see why it would have gone, it all seems ok at the moment apart from that? :(