ps one screens

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Oioi

I'm looking at putting some ps one screen in the headrests in the mera, just wondering if u know of any complications I could possibly come across? And how they would need wiring in...

Will be used in conjuction with my dvd player and ps2 once installed....

Ta

i've tried it. it's pretty straight forward. the main problem is the actual installation that's the difficult bit.

also if you extend the PS1 cables there may be some signal loss but the PS signal is fairly strong so it's nothing really to worry about.

i've decided to go for 7" touch screen for a pc and playstation

Well i've got the PS2 in ma beast, think you've seen it tho neil. I got the playstation mounted under the passenger seat, and then the screen in the Glovebox. Good thing with this is, it's all hidden, so no-one walking past can really see anything.

the actual installation of them shouldnt be a problem as I'm getting some spare headrests to mount them into. Main thing was just the wiring. I have a seperate screen on the dash already, which will be upgraded soon to a full dvd and screen headunit, but i wanted the people in the back to be able to see aswell, and it seemed the ps1 screens are the best choice out there....

Again its mainly the wiring I need to be sure of

that's easy then,

you will need some sheilded coxial cable. then run it to each of the screens and attach it to the av in socket. i can't remember which wires it is but if you use a multimeter and an av cable (av plug to three phonos) find out using continuity testing, which wire is the centre of the yellow phono connected to....

then run the coaxial to that wire whilst keeping it insulated and sheilded.

you should be able to join the coaxial together and share the signal without signal reflection because ps2 and DVD signals are quite strong.....

good luck, i hope this helps :)

It would help if I had a clue wot u were on about, lmao....

Wot about if I wanted 4 screen, 2 in front headrests and two in the rear? Would I need a signal booster

ok,

you know on the ps1 screens you have a small black port with (i think) AV in written next to it?

if you take the whole thing apart (there are some hidden screws under the speaker grills)
you will see (from what i can remember) a set of grey cables going to the black port.

next you will need an AV cable. it has a plug like a headphone jack plug at one end and three phono plugs at the other end a red, white and yellow plug. you need to plug the jack plug end into the black port on the ps1 screen and then get a multimeter to check which one of the grey wires connects to the centre of the yellow wire.

when you know which one that is you need to solder the coaxial cable to it. the coaxial cable is like a TV cable with a core wire and a sort of mesh round the outside. this is to stop interferance.

wire the other end of the coxial to the centre of the yellow phono that comes out of what ever is transmitting the signal eg DVD player.

you should be able to wire all the coaxial cables together and have no interferance. and there should be no need to boost the signal because it is generated localy and should be quite strong.

i hope this helps, it's kinda hard to explain without actually being there.....

where are u?

NeX

Thats a bit clearer thanks mate, I aint got the screens yet so aint had a chance to have an actual look at them...

Im in the north east....

hehe a bit out the way :)

well if you need any help let me know because i have a screen in bits and an AV cable so if you're still unclear then i can take some pics and talk you through it :)

That could be the best way mate as I aint too hot on electrics, lol

Need to get some screen ordered then I can get started....

Can i rig them so I can turn them both on from switches from the dash?

yep that's easy enough, but you need the 7.something volts to power them. so you may need to pick up a couple of ps1 in car supplies....

you may even be able to have different things on each screen with a switch on the end of each coaxial to each imput,

but you may not want that.

also i'm asuming all audio is going through the car sound system rather than locally to each screen..

Yeah it will go thru the main stereo, rf modulator should be here this week, although i am looking to get a new all in one dvd/screen unit aswell....

ah ok, so you're just sending a video signal round the car to all the screens and then having switches that switch each screen on or off :)

that shoud be fairly easy,

your main problems will be rooting the cables and mounting the PS1 screens.

On the almera the seat covers are removeable, they just zip off, so that wont be a problem on the wiring side of things, it can all be hidden in the seat, mounting in the back of the headrest should be ok aswell, just need to rip on apart really, lol

well as long as you can do that bit then i'm pretty sure i can talk you through the wiring :)

Cool, I'm pretty hand with installs n stuff so even if i have to do something with the headrests to make them more rigid thats fine. Just the wiring I'm pants with, lol

Really appreciate the help tho mate....

Back