PROS/CONS of k11 and k12?

k11_whore

Steve :)
Hey, my dads lending me 2k as my micra is on verge of scrapheap time, found a massive hole when took the linen out of interior, and everytrhin seems to be breaking on the k11, im thinkin of gettin a k12 as newer and touchwood no problems every week, spent more on fixing it than its worth :(
And dont want another k11 as to old, just if could get some pros and cons of the k12 against k11 and what should i look for when buyin a k12,
Thanks in advance

If you said you don't want a K11 but still want a Micra then you should look at K12s and see what price range they are Vs. spec. I think a cheap 160SR is about 3k. I own a K12 but I ain't had any problems etc so I can't say what to look out for! I think you should just check the usual stuff you check on a car.

Sorry I didn help much but you should get a really good Micra for 2K.

Pepper

My Micra is on the verge of being crushed next week as well mate, sadly they seem to be a dying breed - I know mine is, everything seems to be either going wrong or breaking on it :down:. Plus I'm getting another car, and can't afford to insure 2, so one has to go :(.

I guess I can start off with pros and cons of the K11, I'm sure other people will be adding to it.

K11

Pros

Cheap to buy
Cheap to insure
Cheap and easy to maintain
Cheap and easy to modify
Economical
It's Japanese, meaning it's almost bulletproof, to an extent

Cons

Prone to rust/corrosion, especially with older/higher mileage models - sills and arches are a particular problem area, and it can be expensive if it gets bad
MAF sensor seems to be a common thing to go wrong
2 star Euro NCAP rating - and it's actually safer for you to be a passenger in one than it is to be the driver if you have a crash

K12 (even though I've never owned one, I know people who have, so this is taken from their experience)

Pros

4 star Euro NCAP rating, and safer for pedesrians as well
Well built
Cheap and easy to maintain
Cheaper to insure in some cases than a K11
Can pick them up quite cheaply, even with low mileage
More spacious than a K11

Cons

Can't think of any off the top of my head :laugh:

As for what to look out for when buying a K12? Pretty much the same as any car - rust, corrosion, smoke when you start up or rev the engine, etc. And as Pepper says, £2000 will buy you a fairly decent low mileage K12. Just keep an eye out on Auto Trader :grinning:.

As I said, I'm sure you'll get a lot of people adding to this (Y)

As i have both i still prefer the K11 1.3. There are still some really decent ones out there. The k12 is just well Boring, i must admit i only have the 1.2 sport + but it is really gutless compared to my k11 1.3. It really depends what you want the car for and personal preference but for driving fun K11 FTW. (Y)

Just fed up of having a old car, il have a k11 sometime again as i love them, but lookin like im gettin a fiat 500 now

Mate that looks a good car for that money, and a very good starting place if you want to tune/mod it, i would go and look and obviously check sills, all around the rear section for rust, front cross member, headlight wiring (look passenger side plug and fuse to see if melted), sun roof in slide mode make sure it slides back and more importantly comes back again, listen to timing chain on start up and after its warmed up sufficiently, gear shift to make sure it feels nice not all stiff, and obviously drive it to make sure no problems with power / afm, sorry if i'm telling you a load of things you already know but thought it might save you hassles later if you don't know where to look, :suspect:

Id have to get my dad to inspect it as would cost a bit just to go over n view it, i know what to look for on micras but dad dont so il link him to this, but thanks i think its good just im 100+miles over sea so will get my dad to look,

Back