problems with power. please help

CMF_jay22

» CMF Member
well i moved my battery to the boot. i have a 60amp fuse on one of the wires to make sure the wires don't burn out.

I know a little bit about electronics but not enough.

My problem is, the fuse keeps blowing. its blows when i start the car.
I don't know what the problem is, but i have a few ideas.

1 i heard that the voltage might drop because of the length of cable going from the engine to the battery in the boot.

2 i have a bit of stuff running off the battery like:
-stereo
-amp
-sub
-6" splits
-electric windows
-solenoid on both doors(for my shaved doors,i will post more about that later.best mod i have done)
-tacho
so i think i might have to much stuff running, and it can't handle it.

i was planning on getting an optima battery
will i need a bigger alternator?

any ideas?

thanks in advance

jay

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
60 amp?

Mate thats probably your problem right there. I'm 99.9% certain my car had a factory 80a fuse on the battery circuit. So it makes sense that you need 80a or greater. Also for a battery in the boot where did you put the fuse? Just checking that you put it within 30cm of the battery on the positive wire. Also did you run a ground lead back to the original grounding point in the engine bay? Thats the best way to get a good solid ground. No point running a ground from the relocated battery to anywhere else in the car IMO.

CMF_jay22

» CMF Member
yes there is a fuse at both ends of the cable its about 15cm from the battery. and the ground wire runs back to the original.
i have only got 4 gauge cable.

so i will get the battery and either 2 or 0 gauge cable and some bigger fuses.

CMF_OLDBOY

» CMF Member
Where is you amplifier ground off to? Make sure is no longer than 20cm either. And when you earth the amp, make sure you don't use exisiting seat bolts or seat belt bolts. Make a new earth by scrappin/sanding off the paint until is polished silver and then use a self-tapping screw and go thru it. Make sure you don't aim for the fuel tank! Also what ever size power goes into amp, make sure is the same size coming out to the ground as well to ensure a balance current flow.

Back