Problems with Micra Inspiration!!

Hi

I am new to the the site and joined cos I love my little runner Vreg inspiration.
Recently after 3 years of no problem she started to give some trouble!

Some time ago the charging light came off while driving and the engine stop in the middle of the road :( that was the start of multiple problems!! had the battery and the spak plugs changed already! garage said they checked the alternator which seems to be fine according to them but now my micra start at random, I noticed it may be has to do with wet/damped mornings when doesnt want to start! By the way I always seem to get spark and crank is just the thingy doesn want to start!!

Any idea what this might be

Any help appreciated

do yours have a NATS immobiliser? and is the passenger carpet dry?
cos i once had a leak during a monsoon and the water went along the vent and down into the ecu where it pooled and eventually shorted out the circuit & nats, therefore couldn't start car due to no injection.
after drying & cleaning the ecu it worked again.

Thanks pollyp

Yes I do have NATS and will check the ECU but sorry about my ignorance!

where is the ECU?

Alex

hi

as andy said its behind the middle of the dash just underneath the heater ventilation unit. look under the foot wells and you'll see the grey plastic side covers either side of the central console. remove the screws holding the side covers and the lower ashtray cubby holding thing plus take out the black plastic push-pin rivets thats also holding the side cover.

once you remove the side cover you'll see the silver ecu case with blue connection plug just below the heater.

a pic of mine
1015h.jpg

if there's any sign of dampness there after heavy showers or especially after taking it to a carwash, take the ecu out to dry.

i had this happen to me once after a monsoon. check it out on my blog on post #32 under the title "UK holiday trip drama" for full explanation.
http://micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=35251

for this you'll need a philips screwdriver to obviously remove the trim and ecu out, can of cleaning alchohol like isopropyl alchohol from maplin to clean electronics, and a small star-torx key to open the ecu cover if it looks like my 1998 nats ecu shown above.

if yours is an earlier half size type ecu like on my 1993 non-nats ecu shown below then i think a screwdriver'll do fine.

821l.jpg

once the top & bottom covers removed, check if there's any sign of foaming or shorting under the circuit around the big blue connector. if yes then dry it off and clean the residue off with the alchohol.

reassemble it all, ignition on, check if the engine lights flashing, if yes then turn off, wait afew secs for it to reset then try again. when the eng lights back to normal during ignition, start engine.

Back