Problems with CVT?

CMF_ian.fitch

» CMF Member
Hi all - just joined. Have had two K11 Micra's in the past, and am now looking at buying another one. My previous ones were both manuals, which I prefer, but are hard to come by with reasonable kms. Have found a 1995 SLX CVT, with only 90,000km (!) - question is, am I buying into a can of worms with the CVT? Should I be expecting problems? If they were as great an innovation as they appeared at the time (brilliant performance for a small auto of that era) why did Nissan go back to a conventional slush-box for the K12? Any feedback would be great - thanks!

CMF_Doom

» CMF Member
Hi mate,

They are great while they last.
I have one myself that finally just shat itself. (150,000kms).

Parts are hard to find, and will usually cost more than the car itself lol.
Try find a manual one in my opinion, unless you are willing to do a manual conversion once it ****s itself (because chances are it will)

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
The K12 is more commonly available with a CVT in other markets, e.g. Japan.
As far as I'm aware Nissan Australia only sells one K12 model, being the 4spd slush box.

CMF_david (2)

» CMF Member
I agree with Doom. I have had mine since about 40,000km. and it is now about 130,000. Still runs fine, and would be better if I hadn't messed with the throttle position or something. Are expensive to fix and normally cheaper to replace with second hand. ($1000 or $2000).

Back