CVT Shuddering

CMF_Blaeven

» CMF Member
Hi all!

Just got myself a 1995 CVT SLX Micra and it appears I might have bought myself a lemon.

The car shudders something chronic under partial throttle, it's fine under decent load but from stationary if you just put your foot to half way it sort of snaps into gear, chirps the wheels and then shudders a bit before taking off properly.

I had Lube Mobile come today to have a look at it for me, as I wanted a 'professional' to drive it and diagnose it for me... He basically drove it for 2 seconds and went "that's your gearbox mate"... Damn!

Got him to check the fluid for me (I'm going to do the gearbox fluid, clutch brushes and the re-solder mod to the TB soon enough) and it is a clearish kind of colour, similar to a tin of Nissan (CVT) NS-2 that he had in the van.

Now, I'm of the impression that they have to run Nissanmatic D or some Dexron III (ATF) equivalent, all of which should be a deep red colour. What I'm wondering is, how likely is it that my box is completely screwed and requires replacement, how much does it 'HAVE' to run Nissanmatic D (i.e. is anyone running DexIII without issue) and does anyone have an experience with their Micra shuddering under partial load?

Thanks!!

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
does,nt sound like g/box to me, else it would shudder under load too
you get a mad shudder if the fueling goes very lean, i would try a volt meter on the middle lambda wire (it should read .3 to .6v under light throttle)

CMF_Blaeven

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

i just filled with generic ATF on the one i did mate

Thanks Frank!

The car, unfortunately, gave up the ghost yesterday... Seems to have stuck itself in a high ratio and it's like trying to drive a manual car stuck in fourth... The clutch seems to be working fine, but it won't go up a hill now, got stuck half way up a hill before having to turn around and limp it back to my cousins house...

I'm really hoping that the fluid that's in the box is just causing the issue, possibly something with not building enough pressure to get it to change ratios...?

CMF_Blaeven

» CMF Member
diagnostic came back fine... and doing the oil change didn't make any difference.

The car drives completely fine when cold but when it warms up the gearbox seems to want to stick in a higher ratio and doesn't kick down to a lower one to help get up hills and such...

I really need help here... I feel like maybe it's an electrical fault... or is it likely that something in the box is split/cracked?

EDIT: I think I've put down the shuddering to the lower front engine mount being collapsed.

Back