Preserving bodywork on a K11

lewic

Ex. Club Member
I've just bought a K11 1.3, its L reg but the bodywork seems in good condition (was garaged for a lot of its life).

Having seen the horror pics of rotten sills and crossmembers, I want to do what I can to keep this one tip-top, as its going to be outside all the time. Should I just paint anti-rust stuff on any bits that look like they might rust, or does it need to be sanded off first? Not sure how I'd get to the crossmember to rustproof this!

A couple of people mentioned squirting anti-rust stuff inside the sills, which involved taking out part of the interior. What exactly do you need to do - anyone got photos? Is it easy to get to? Would it best done by a garage (I havent got garage space or much experience with cars...or much cash now!)

Also underseal/Waxoil - I'm not sure where exactly to spray/paint this. Have read that in some places it will do more harm than good as it can attract grit.

When I get hold of a camera I'll put some pics up of the little beauty - currently rather frustrated as I cant drive it til the insurance is sorted next week!

Waxoyl in the sills works wonders, all I do is drill a couple of holes in the door step and squirt loads of the stuff in then plug up the holes with rubber bungs afterwards, it will stop rust from starting and dramatically slow down any that has already started, the crossmember is best accessed by removing the bumper to deal with any rust problems.

why is this in k10??
Yeah that was me being an airhead!

drill a couple of holes in the door step and squirt loads of the stuff in
Would this be one hole at the front and one at the back, above where the rust usually starts? I assume the sill wouldnt need to be filled completely!

thats the places, no it doesn't need to be filled, just enough to make sure that it has coated every nook and cranny.

if it's a 3dr then you can gain access to the rear sill by removing the interior rear quarter panel, you'll be able to see rust in there and then treat it as required. if it's a 5dr then u can't access it this way.

Thanks. Its a 5 door so its gonna have to be drilled (by someone with the right tools cos my cheapo drill will make a right pigs ear of it!)

Back