Power Caps

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
What is the low down on the power caps? Do they actually do anything usefull apart from look cool and display a number?

I can remember somethin about them on the old forums but cant seem to find nothing on the net about them that i understand that well so im turning to the fellow MSC crew

Daz

they store power from your battery to provide the amps with instant power when they need it (like very heavy bass)

so alot of the time they are being charged by the battery and then they chuch it out when the music gets a bit bassy and provents the sound from distorting and the headlights from dimming.....

worth getting if you can aford it and you what the most from your system otherwise they don't do much :)

They do nowt for your system besides place a load on the battery. Better off getting a bigger battery (eg Diesel spec) or a second battery.

You don't see on true sound off competitors so that should tell you something.

im not running a massive system, vibe 10" pre amped, 6x9's front speakers thats it. I was thinkin bout buyin one as my speakers distort quite a bit an they are reasonably decent speakers, but i got my hands on multicore hardcore wire so im gonna c if that will make a difference to my set up!

Cheers for the response

Daz

yea but then they have about 20 batteries.

i might need one because i'm running 3 amps on the standard battery. but the sound only destorts when it's very lound. so most of the time it wouldn't be doing anything.

so really you only need them if you have a phatt saytem but if you have a phatt system then you'll probably have a second battery.... you have to dicide what you want.

NeX said:
just get a better amp and don't use the HU amp that'll sort you out :)

get an amp for my speakers as the amp on my sub is built to the side of it? Wat wattage of amp would you recommend for jus the speakers?

cheers

well i'm personally running 3X 280watt mutant two channel amps from halfrauds. mainly because they are cheap (£50) but i have no problems with them, they run the 6x9s ok so i would recomend them.

but most people would disagree because you're not ment to run 6X9s and a sub at the same time......

but you can't go wrong with £50 :)

NeX said:
but most people would disagree because you're not ment to run 6X9s and a sub at the same time......

wat do u mean? Ur not supposed to run them off the same amp?? I'd be using a different amp as my amp for the sub is attached to the box

no no, it's because 6X9s are for people who don't have subs becuase they are designed mainly for bass. but if you have a sub already then they are kinda pointless because the sub drowns them out.

hehe i found this out AFTER i had installed £500 worth of sub amps and 6X9s.

what you really want is your sub/amp combo then a second amp thats running something like a set of alpine 13cm mid tone door speakers in the front and then a set of tweeters running straight off the HU.

that will give you good all round sound at high volume.....

but i have two 6X9s in the front doors powered by one amp then two 6X9s on the shelf powered by another amp and then a 12" sub off the last amp.

also it does depend on what music you listen to.....

They do f*ck all - save the £100 or so and put it towards something else, such as a bigger front battery.

Also, it's worth upgrading 'the big 3'. Search for this on www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb :)

My set up sounds pretty good at the moment but its jus not loud enough, my gf thinks its too loud an so does my mum and neighbours but i dont think its loud enough, maybe all those nights of clubbing and listenin to the sound system at max has wrecked my hearing and it is loud, but not to me as im half deaf lol

Thanx for the response tho, aint gonna bother wi a cap now hehe ill buy a few pint instead, whos coming to the pub?

NeX said:
hehe yea why not....

but remember kids don't drink and drive :)

Why not officer, honest to drunk im not god!! I can smell perfectly well and touch my toes with my middle finger!

Hmm my massive cap tread were on the old forum. I may bring up a FAQ of this at somepoint.

Ed

Brilliant idea Ed, save people like me starting up a new thread everytime they hear powercap lol

or you could just put up a post saying, "dont waste your money on powercaps"

hehe

either your system is small (1-2 amps) and the power supply doesn't need any assistance

or you system is phatt (3-9000 amps) and you need extra batteries rather than capacitors.

Back