Power Steering ECU (PS indication)

Hello everyone,

I am new to the community. I want to ask you regarding a problem that I am facing with my Micra 2004 K12. I had a PS indication and I took the car to a local garage, they ran diagnostics and they came up with 2 error codes: C1606 and C1608. Also there is a comment on the report stating that that the power steering control unit is malfunctioning (I assume PS ECU).

The garage told me that in order to fix my car they need a part from Nissan that now is discontinued and it used to cost 485 pounds brand new. Also they told me to come and pick up the car since they cant help me.

Now, the question is the following. I am able to drive the car (hard to steer) which for my understanding that means mechanically wise the power steering column can provide the steering but the electronic control unit is not working as expected, therefore there is no mechanical to electronic conversion to help the driver.

I have found some power steering control units online but I have seen in some other forums that I need to find a way to overwrite the used part VIN number to it will much with my car's VIN number, otherwise PS wont work.

I would like to know your input in this case, I currently dont want to drive the car with heavy steering since I am afraid that I may not be able to do any sharp turns.

I would appreciate any help coming from experience members. In case the problem relies on PS column or PS ECU only, where do you believe is the best website to find used parts? Is there anyone who can confirm to me that indeed these two error codes plus my case that car can be driven with heavy steering, is only the PS ECU malfunctioning? Finally, is there any mobile car repair services here in the UK?

Thank you and I really looking forward hearing from you,

M

It's a long shot, but are you anywhere near Lincoln? I can reset the codes for you but can't guarantee how long it'll behave itself

Back