Potentially stupid question...

Hi guys,

Been following alot of the post on here anonymously but decided to actually join ha.

I have an engine swap question... I have recently bought a k11 face-lift, 1.4 sport+, which is a coilpack engine.

I was thinking about doing a 1.6 conversion but since I have the coilpack version does it make sense to swap for the QG16DE rather than the Ga16de as I believe, maybe completely wrong, but the QG is coilpack and the GA runs on a dizzy? I have tried looking for QG16DE conversions but can't seem to find anything, which hopefully isn't because it's a pain in the ass as I can get a sound engine ecu and loom for very very cheap XD

Cheers guys,
Happy micra-ing? Is that a thing? Ha

Hi mate and welcome to the MSC Forum.
Just one question why do you want to rip out the best engine that Nissan UK produced? The 2002 1.4 Sport+ was a descendent of the 1.3 Super S and the 1.3 SR and 1.3SI and a very much sort after 2002 Micra! Why don't you turbo it or just increase the induction? IMHO I would just mod the engine and maybe enhance the chassis and trim! :)

Just my IMHO!
Cheers
Andy :D

I've been offered a 1.6 almera coilpack engine, ecu and loom for 120 from a mechanic near my yard, I assumed this was the Qg16de? The engine in mine is the 1348cc? But classed as a 1.4? I'm new to this whole micra malarkey I was until last week a 2.5 straight 6 e36 owner so I miss the power alot haha!

I read about the micra engine having alot of trouble breathing, but then once you sort the breathing it underfuels and needs fiddling with?

Why are the coilpack 1.4s so desirable? Surely putting a larger engine in would give me a better base for power/torque?

And finally would a gearbox replacement be a good plan? Or am I better with the shorter ratios for 0-100 times as I will rarely go over 100mph I mean ermmm 70

First double check it's a 1.6 they're usually a 1.5 coilpack the almera.
The 1.6 is usually a GA16

I've a 2.5 e46 and can't understand the craze, I dare call it asthmatic.

Yup classed as a 1.4 to differentiate it from the 1.3 in marketing. They're desirable thanks to their 'rarity'.
The lean out top end but nothing dangerous. For you a QG injector upgrade would suit but you're in a world of fiddling then. Other than that a GA16 air box and reasonable exhaust have been proven methods for around 100hp. Similar to that of the heavier 1.5 & 1.6

Ratios in yours are near on the same as the GA14 and even close to the GA16

Oh okay will ask to double check engine codes tomorrow, however now I have seen "nis"? And ed? These people may not exist and I could have imagined these names but we'll roll with it for now... have built a 250bhp micra on a cga3de+t I want to have a go haha!

But then I think about it and just think why not do the same to a 1.6 engine and have much better gains (I would try an sr20det but I hear it makes handling awful due to weight?)

Another question, how rare are the 4wd micras in the UK? If hard to obtain what other 4wd systems could I run that won't cost the earth as a do or car?

Yup they exist as humans on earth. Not sure what you mean by it but I know Nis' s is now in LowRider's hands. Ed can't say I've seen it but my assumption being he mapped the above.

The GA ready to go is 138kg
The SR in the same state is 202kg. This includes oils.
QG and GA tuning potential is high. 250hp is a regularly achieved number. The 2 engines are related.

Awfully rare. Never seen of one bar a half built custom made 11 here.
Other than a Subaru justy you'll be hard pushed to find anything else 4wd that'll fit simpler
Or you can go my road and rebuild the chassis to suit full Subaru undergarments

Sounds very very complicated I guess fwd is OK for now haha,

After looking at a few build threads cga3de + sr20 injectors tb fuel rail and a turbo with a 2.5" exhaust system seems a fairly standard build?

Comparing this to a, by the sounds of it more likely, 1.5 almera coilpack engine am I wasting my time with a transplant for marginly greater output and effort?

Is the 1.5 noticeably heavier than the 1.4 or is it similar with a larger bore/displacement?

the easiest option would be a qg18 batchy, here,s a relevant blog http://www.then16files.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00+08:00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00+08:00&max-results=50
my advice tho, would be to buy a small 2.0 tdi (ibiza/polo or whatever) and do a hybrid turbo and remap, you will end up with an insurable car that is just as fast, and one that will you be able to re-sell when you move on

This is very true, but which is more likely to make you cry when your showing off to your missus in a new bmw?

I just think it would be fun and a good chance to further my knowledge on a car which I can pick up cheaply if/when I break it

What weight is a CG3A ? And what power can you get out of the GA16 in NA form?
No one's really weighed them to me knowledge. Guesses for just the engine was around 70kg
GAs require a lot if work NA because of Nissans poor effort in designing the port sizes. Exhaust is far too small too
Sounds very very complicated I guess fwd is OK for now haha,

After looking at a few build threads cga3de + sr20 injectors tb fuel rail and a turbo with a 2.5" exhaust system seems a fairly standard build?

Comparing this to a, by the sounds of it more likely, 1.5 almera coilpack engine am I wasting my time with a transplant for marginly greater output and effort?

Is the 1.5 noticeably heavier than the 1.4 or is it similar with a larger bore/displacement?
It's not recommended unless you know what chassis member needs cutting and replacing where etc.
CG13 and the above is the standard one. The CGA3 is slightly different in setup. It needs top feed injectors as opposed to side feed.

1.5 yes. 1.8 is the engine You want. Change the engine chain for an improved one before fitting it.

Same as above CG weight isn't really known

The CG was supposed to be about 80kg (engine and gearbox) according to this: http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=CG_engine

but when I weighted my spare engine with alternator manifolds everything and the gearbox it was closer to or a bit over 100kg... (they may have weighed it without alternator starter and or manifolds?)

I'm looking at the Toyota 1NZFE (1.5)as a possible donor later on (for a Morris 1100/ADO16) I've seen a couple in minis they are cramped but fit so should be possible for a micra.
106 hp @ 6000, 141Nm @ 4200, and a 83.2kg weight with oil (doubt it has manifolds starter etc) alloy head and block... guessing but hopefully it should end up a similar weight to the CG / CGA...
More info here:
http://www.slideshare.net/soratouchpunsuwan/1nzfe
Toyotas that it was responsible for pulling around range from 940 kg to 1200 kg

You'd not have the reasonable compatibility for wiring that you have with a Nissan motor though...
and the wiring is supposed to be difficult, (VVTI stuff to muck about with I suppose)...
There does seem to be some reasonable aftermarket support though.

Not sure I'd be bothering if I had a CGA3 in there already but that's for you to decide... If anyone has any experience with the 1NZFE I'm listening...

The GA and QG blocks are cast iron. And folk even now say they're heavier than the SR equivalent... there's some 64kg difference in them but no one seems to have noticed
Much to many SR owners disgust kilo for kilo a GA (I'd assume a QG too but that is a brave assumption) outperforms an SR without modification (DE vs DE, none of this neo vvl ve vet)

I suppose the question boils down to A) what are you after as a result and B.) The budget associated

All very interesting fella's, I'll put the almera box on my 1.4, and a growler on the back, losing the back box.
Should give me a bit more poke, although she's an impressive little girl standard.
A local garage does race car prepping, may ask them about de-porting mine and see what they say.
I did ask them about r-mapping her, they said the gains were not worth the cost..

Serious question now, is the qg15 noticeably quicker/better/faster than the cga3de? Also as far as tuning potential goes is it worth the hassle of a swap?

As said before
What do you want from it as a whole

The common phrase there's no displacement for replacement. If you're after sub 200hp, which unless you're willing to spend ££££ you will be. A CGA3 is fine

We were discussing in another thread about the value of hp versus torque, the general consensus on here (of course it will differ where yougo) is in reality and for everyday driving torque is more important.

So given that I'd not comeback with a hp figure but tell us where you think the CGA is letting you down....
like "I want torque you could plow a field with"
or
"It gets up to speed but then runs out of puff"
or
"I just love a engine at near valve bounce (right where it can't rev anymore)"
or
"I want tyre squealing wheel spinning madness and don't care if it handles or goes fast in anything but a straight line"
or
"I want a generally quick car that handles well with no surprises"

This way I think you are more likely to get something you really want and potentially a lot cheaper or with less hassle a 0-100 time would potentially be another way to go about it (keeping in mind the micra is fwd).

Last edited:
Ermmm... basically my mate has a 246bhp glanza which he basically mates with daily, took out a bank loan to buy it... ultimately my aim is to build a micra that will make him cry and question his existence... anything else is a bonus....

Ermmm... basically my mate has a 246bhp glanza which he basically mates with daily, took out a bank loan to buy it... ultimately my aim is to build a micra that will make him cry and question his existence... anything else is a bonus....
You'll require that same bank loan to compete
A car is more than an engine. It'll need suitable suspension, brakes and driver comforts to make use of any increase in power both reliably and safely

In my experience with Glanzas they'll use the fact your engine is bigger than a 1.3 to negate any loss

Save your money and wait until someone sells a complete running ~250bhp Glanza for <1/4 of what it cost them to build and enjoy a quick pocket rocket with the support and familiarity of a club.

Built not bought is seriously over rated.

But I want to build much more fun haha plus I plan on using as much second hand/from other cars as I can.. I'm a paint sprayer and I'm surrounded by mechanics and breakers so parts are easy to come by and usually free as a favour owed, so what's the verdict on qg15? Worthwhile or pass?

But I want to build much more fun haha plus I plan on using as much second hand/from other cars as I can.. I'm a paint sprayer and I'm surrounded by mechanics and breakers so parts are easy to come by and usually free as a favour owed, so what's the verdict on qg15? Worthwhile or pass?
Put a V12 6 litre Jag engine in it - LOL
Although the 4 litre Jag V8 is pretty impressive as well.
Myself, I'd have the V8 and the car that went with it.

Put a V12 6 litre Jag engine in it - LOL
Although the 4 litre Jag V8 is pretty impressive as well.
Myself, I'd have the V8 and the car that went with it.
I very nearly ventured into fitting a V12 (old school xjs?) but A.) I didn't dare and B.) It was siezed
So I've stuck to a V6

Back