Post picture of distributor

hissyfizzy

Ex. Club Member
Hi can someone post a good picture of where the distributor sits, sounds daft the pigs timing seems to have gone out for some reason. The distributor when I got the car was just off centre but now the car won't start unless I put the distributor almost over to advanced setting.

The points are at 0.45 as the haynes says. It got a major service today for the new carb tomorrow. I'm just hoping that the new carb will resolve the problem as It's been determined it's not the gearbox at fault as it will change gear and work as it should

Plugs
Leads
Coil
Cap
rotor arm
Fuel filter
Oil
Transmission fluid

may be you have a vaccum leak

If a vacuum hose is fully disconnected (like a bad leak) then timing is aboyt 12 degrees out (retarded/+)

micht be worth a check over these

Would a vacuum leak stop the engine reving when the car is dropped into gear? Will check the vacuum unit tomorrow though, thinking about it the vacuums behind the manifold is loose

and it is around 12degrees + advance

Stupid question time: If its the black breather/vacuum pipes where do I buy the black tube to replace the dead stuff? "Halfords or any other good car store"

Yeah and you need to ask for Vacuum pipe, around 2 metres worth is enough and you may also want to get 3 t pieces just in case they break when replacing the piping.

Halfords would stock it or do I need to go to Nissan for the vacuum piping? #

Hissyfizzy

Remember Christmas is on it's way so for your safety Don't Drink and Drive:

The rubbers perished on my vacuum pipe so I replaced it with 3mm silicone breather hose designed for motorcross tank breathers. Cost £1.50 a meter and works just as well.

Ive replaced all the vacuum hoses with silicone tubing. Car runs just needs the distributor fully advanced +/- 5 degrees the accelerator has a touch of lag too.

Any further ideas

dizzy.jpg

Thanks then I've got something seriously wrong because mine is now almost fully advanced no where near the center like yours or how it was.

I've been told theres an issue with camshafts snapping in the center how true is this?

Got to have a look at what's wrong with mine, wonder if a valve has dropped doubt if that would push the timing that much

i've never heard of a K10 camshaft snapping before. My MA10 when i had it was positioned around the center too.

Borrowed your pic.....

the green hilighted part on the distrubuter is the diaphragm that flexes when there is a good vacuum.....if this is perrished there can be a leak through it and it will not flex instantly with the vacuum and will not flex as far either (wont advance the ignition as much)

if you have a clean peice od new pipe.....disconect the engine vacuum pipe from this device and addyour cleen bit....(with the engine off)....then put the clean pipe in your gob and suck with your cheeks (not your lungs)...when youve created a good vacuum plug the pipe with your toung to keep the vacuum in........if it sticks fast to the end of your toung for say at least a minute....lol your gonna look silly) then this device is probably OK...but the suction in the pipe dropps and the pipe comes off easily then the chances are this device id leaking...in wich case replace the distrubuter

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 188
Ok I'll give that a try, one thing the distributor being where it is isn't effecting the engine at all infact it's quieter there than it was sort of centralised. The car isn't over running when I turn off either and I've done 98miles in one stint today.

Back