Poorly Nissan Micra 1.0l 2000

I wonder if anyone would be able to help with this one, I have a Micra K11 year 2000 1.0 with a bosch throttle body.

Over the last few months the car has been running very badly, The idle revs are extremely low (it is not cutting out) but rough. The car seems to average approx 15MPG at very best. The engine light came on a while back, so we had this tested and it turned out to be lambda sensor (as the mechanic told us) We had this changed and still not better - engine management light came back on. We approached another garage who connected the car up to a diagnostic and he claims it is MAF sensor we have not yet had this changed as we are a little sceptical. I took it to a 3rd garage who then said it was the throttle body :doh: who is right? :glare:

We have recently had the car serviced - spark plugs, fuel filter, air fileter etc etc.

Feel like we are throwing money away at the moment with conflicting info from garages.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all, it would be much appreciated?

Thanks

the maf fault is pretty common seddonk, but its removable on your type of throttlebody :grinning:
and can be had for about £30 iirc

looking at the throttle body there is a black panel off it, using a stanley knife to carefully break the seal you can remove it to expose the the circuit board, you will burning to the board (throttle body is knackered) however I have seen people repair the board by bypassing the burnt bit with wires.

just go to the scrappy and source a replacement and get a new gasket, they are easy to fit.

looking at the throttle body there is a black panel off it, using a stanley knife to carefully break the seal you can remove it to expose the the circuit board, you will burning to the board (throttle body is knackered) however I have seen people repair the board by bypassing the burnt bit with wires.

just go to the scrappy and source a replacement and get a new gasket, they are easy to fit.

thats the earlier hitachi type of t/b aint it ma10boy ? the bosch maf,s are availiable on ebay (and the oddball security key to remove it)

Thanks to you both for your response. I've had a look on eBay and I'm not sure which one it is. Is there any chance of a link I can look at?? I've heard the screws are a bit dodgy! Where is best to get the keys from?

Thanks again :)

Someone had taken a hacksaw to the screws holding the MAF sensor on my Bosch model, so all I needed was a stubby flat-head and £30 on ebay. After about 100 miles the engine management light has come back on once again, so I've got a code reader off ebay for £25, half the cost of a trip to a Nissan dealership...:eek:

This seems to be such a common issue, I'd probably put a tenner on both of your EML lights giving the P0171 code. After changing the MAF and oxygen sensor I'm starting to think more like an air leak problem somewhere??

But 15MPG, that is shocking! I don't think I've managed to achieve anything like that in my 1.4 (low to mid 30s at the minute when driven sensibly) - even when flooring it through the rev ranges!

If it's a 2000 k11 then it should be the 2nd facelift model right? With the origional type throttle body that has the MAF sensor built into it, and not the coil pack model. Didn't they change over in 2001? I thought they did but anyway if i'm wrong, i'm wrong.

But anyway if it isn't the MAF/Throttlebody, you could also take a good scan of your vacuum lines. But if it's flashing up an engine warning light then it's likely to be an electrical problem and not something like a simple leak. So again if you have no luck with the MAF/Throttlebody, the distributor is worth thinking about. The crank-angle sensors and coil are built into them (non-coilpack models) and they are a common fault on facelifts.
If it's a coilpack model, the crank-angle sensor will be separate but still a possible suspect.

Sorry about the late response, I'm trying to get hold of a 5 sided security torx to remove the MAF don't seem to be having much luck, the DIY shops I have been to only seem to have 6 sided security torx. I mean this micra is my girlfriends and it uses more fuel my Clio 182 when being floored everywhere. :eek: the throttle body that I have is not the original from 1992 - 2000 it is the Bosch one. Porkpie700 - yeah it is the facelift model. Is it true if I disconnect the the plug attaching the MAF sensor And switch on the car, that this should test if it is faulty not? (if that makes sense)

Thanks for your replies

Mine is the second facelift registered in September 2000 and has the Bosch throttlebody/coilpack setup. If you disconnect the wire it will probably just throw up the code to indicate the MAF is not working, did nothing for me when trying it.

Thanks for all your replies it has been alot of help. I have been to Maplins and got a security torx set and 5 sided hex set but non fit the MAF sensor. :( DOnt really know what to search for tbh. Any ideas?

Back