Poor fuel economy

I

ivan

Hello everybody i'm new here. My name's Ivan and i'm from BC, Canada. Anyways I just bought a 1990 Nissan Micra (1.2 carb, auto) and the fuel economy is bad. What could cause this? Thank you.

when you say bad how bad are we talking? usally poor servcing cause's this, id recommend giving the car a full service and tune up should solve the problem if not then the carb jets may be blocked or worn. but ill be able to help you more with some more info ;)

the auto k10's were crap on fuel anyway. You'd be lucky to get above 30mpg in one.

I haven't got a clue where the fuel filter or PCV valve are...can somebody please direct me? An engine bay pic would be very helpful. Thankyou.

Here is a picture for ya.

The hilighted bit is the fuel filter. Not sure about the PCV valve though.

Attachments

• Fuel filter.jpg
    Fuel filter.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 232
Mulbers said:
Here is a picture for ya.

The hilighted bit is the fuel filter. Not sure about the PCV valve though.

Perfect...thank you.

Also I have another problem. My air intake tube has a hole on the underside...it should be connected with this hole in the heat shield of the exhaust manifold....except the tube connecting the two is missing. Is this important and where can I get this tube? What is the purpose of this? Thank you.

ivan said:
Perfect...thank you.

Also I have another problem. My air intake tube has a hole on the underside...it should be connected with this hole in the heat shield of the exhaust manifold....except the tube connecting the two is missing. Is this important and where can I get this tube? What is the purpose of this? Thank you.

I think you're referring to the tube that passes hot air from the manifold back into the air intake system. Its not the most critical thing in the world to have it missing, but its useful. In the summer, the air's usually hot enough already so it uses cooler air from outside, whereas the winter, it prefers the air from the engine.. thats why you have the winter / summer switch on your air pan (unless you have the ECC model)

Back