Please Help 1.3 SI Micra electrics

Hi - my mothers v reg 1999 1.3 si micra would not start and a neighbour jumped it from his and connected the battery leads the wrong way round! Lots of sparks and smoke and a dead car. I have charged the battery and put it back on the car. When i turn the ignition, the car starts fine however no electrics work (radio, horn, milage display, idictors) for around 30 seconds. I then hear a loud click (like central locking noise) then all electics come back on. However the engine management light is now also on and flashes and stays on.
Any ideas? I think something mustav blown but dont know what. All fuses inside the car appear to be OK. Its been a great car but now with this problem my mother is afraid to use it and may get rid. I appreciate any help/advice you can give. Thanks

did you try to start the car with the lead on the wrong way round.
i connected mine up the wrong way but didnt try to do anything with the electrics, all that happened was it blew the main battery fuse (big one in the fusebox infront of the battery).

Micra electrics

Thanks for your reply. The answer is yes the neighbour started the car with the leads on the wrong way round and that is when the sparks started to appear. I will have a look at the main fuse box infront of the battery as you suggest and see if i can find any blown fuses in there. Thanks again for your reply.

Your neighbour could have spiked the brain!
I've seen it done before, and if thats the case you need to go to a scrappy,
get another ecu, immobiliser module and chipped keys all from the same vehicle

Thanks guys for your suggestions. It turned out to be the 65amp fuse in the engine bay. Struggled to open the box but having read Noddies message i was convinced the problem lay in there. Got a fuse off ebay for £6 and car now back to normal and mother well happy. Result!

Back