Petrol Treatment lark

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Whats with this Petrol Treatment stuff you add to a full tank to give more MPG etc.

If i wanted to use some what do i need to get the injector one or the carburettor one? Mines a 1994 L Model K11.

One brand out of many ive recently used is called Redex.

You can get it either carb or fuel injected - the one you would need is the fuel injected one. I dont know about it giving more MPG, but its meant to give your system a bit of a flush.

Arnold

Cheers Arnold! Yeh the Redex was the one i saw but i didnt know which one. The green ones the fuel injection one. Ill pick one up then :) Cheers

Flushes the #### outta the system, but be careful as after K10_Daz use it he had a few problems with performance etc, and ended up re-setting his ECU :(

yeah i use the redex standard petrol and the carb stuff. really cleans it up inside. after about 2 uses you can feel the difference. you've got the same car as me, i tend to use alittle bit more than instructed, it works well. bit pricey tho.
make sure you put it in before you fill up so it mixes with the fuel well. asfar as the mpg goes i havent really noticed any chances but asfar as response goes, its great!

I dont know what happened but what i usually do is take off the air filter and put some down the throttle body and the rest in the tank, this way it cleans ur throttle body and air inlet valves and with it in the tank also cleans out your fuel system. I would make sure your engine is warm before putting it down the throttle tho!

Daz

My mate used redex in his pug 309, the white smoke comming out of the exaust when he put some in the carb was quite impressive.

It is advised NOT to use petrol treatments on nissan engines. The injectors are self cleaning and by running this treatment stuff through you can actualy cause damage

If you do have to use it, just pour it straight into the petrol tank and not into the inlet side. you have something called a MAF sensor which is VERY VERY expensive to replace...

Some people have mentioned pouring this stuff straight into the cylinders through the spark plug hole - not really sure about this TBH.

My advise would just be to run Optimax through the car for around 1000 miles. Does a much better job of cleaning the engine, does not cause damage to injectors and can help, in some cases, with performance and MPG

I used a bottle of redex for a while - the one you put into the fuel tank - and found it to be no different. It really made the car worse. The fuel consumption was the same, if not better without it and the car also pulls better without it, especially when its in the lower half of the fuel tank.

SplanK said:
It is advised NOT to use petrol treatments on nissan engines.

i work in a nissan garage and we put fuel treatment in every car even diesels on services and have no problems with any vehicles coming back please note if you have a nissan primastar or a interstar or please use diesel fuel treatment as much as possible as they suffer big style with injectors xxxxxxx up and they can seize in the head and have to be drilled out not very funny when that happens as you can guess

SplanK said:
If you do have to use it, just pour it straight into the petrol tank and not into the inlet side. you have something called a MAF sensor which is VERY VERY expensive to replace...

you shouldnt dont pour it down the inlet unless its got a carb

i bought a multipack of this stuff

fuel system cleaner and octane booster, £8.99 for both

didnt noticed any difference at all with the system cleaner but the octane booster made the car.....well feel like it was towing a caravan, utter crap

K10Daz said:
Where did you find this information?

Daz :alien:

I was advised this on the primera forum who put up a link - ill see if i can fish it out but most petrol nowerdays contains cleaning agents anyway so there is no need to run this stuff through - just spend the extra and use optimax... much better fuel

As Mike says, they are self cleaning and don't like the "cleaners"

Infiniti TSB: ITB94003
Due to the introduction of contamination resistant "pintle-less" fuel injectors,
Infiniti no longer recommends using fuel injector cleaners on vehicles with injectors of this design.
Use of fuel injector cleaner on these vehicles, while providing little cleaning benefit, may cause corrosion of the fuel injector coil and eventual failure of the injector.

Quote lifted from another forum,

Stay clear, the reasons are here as expressed by a chemist!

General Remarks on Chlorinated Additives.

A number of ‘add-on’ additives intended to improve the performance of commercially available automotive lubricants have been marketed in recent years, under such names as ‘Xxtralube ZX-1’, ‘Metol FX-1’, ‘PPL Anti-Friction’ and ‘Activ-8’.All such products share the following characteristics with ‘X-1R Friction Eliminator’:-

1) They all contain chlorinated paraffin ‘exteme pressure’(EP) compounds first used in the 1930s in heavily-loaded industrial gearboxes, and in some automotive transmission applications, mainly hypoid gears.

2) They all corrode copper-based alloys at moderate temperatures, easily exceeded in all engine, and most transmission applications.This problem was recognised in the 1930s, and chlorinated compounds were never used in transmissions with bronze bearings or gears. No responsible manufacturer ever suggested using them in engines where their increasing activity at high temperatures could lead to piston ring corrosion and bore glazing. (For the same reason, modern ‘hypoid’ additives are not used in engines, even though they are much safer than any chlorinated additive.)

3) X-1R Friction Eliminator and its clones are based upon very outdated technology, which was abandoned by responsible lubricant manufacturers for automotive transmission uses in the 1950s. Chlorinated compounds still find applications in metal working, but their use is on the decline because of health and safety considerations.

4) When burnt, chlorinated paraffins produce corrosive hydrochloric acid, and organo-chlorine compounds including the highly poisonous phosgene gas. Apart from these corrosion and health hazards, with petrol engines the deactivation of exhaust catalysts is also a problem.

5) Unfortunately, these additives give spectacular results in simple EP test machines such as the ‘Falex’. As a marketing ploy, a demonstration of this type looks impressive to those not aquainted with the above facts. Also attractive is the low cost of chlorinated compounds, allowing profits of several thousand percent to be made.

Cheers, Simon

you should be able to see the thread on the NPOC - its in a non members area so...

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6211&KW=redex&PN=0&TPN=1

Fordy said:
i work in a nissan garage and we put fuel treatment in every car even diesels on services and have no problems with any vehicles coming back

One man says yes
Another man says no.

Who do we believe? The nissan Tech Or the Chemist?

"david its over to you"

K10Daz said:
One man says yes
Another man says no.

Who do we believe? The nissan Tech Or the Chemist?

"david its over to you"

belive who you want! or try it yurself and find out the hard way :D

ide say no to it tho

tried logging on..

after the amount of problems i have had with nissan ####ing up my car - i not trust them as far as i could throw them... no offence to anybody who works there - you are prob told to put the stuff in..

but the infinity one - thats nissan in the US - and they are recommending NOT to use the engine stuff

Back