petrol guage

Hi all a newbie here i just got a 1.3 k11 sr 1998 TURQUOISE but have a problem with the petrol guage when engine is off with out ignition it is showing near full tank bloke who i got it from said it got full tank u guys have any idea how to fix it?

many thanks

kev

its going to be one of the following

loose cable (unlikely), just cry rather than replace.
knackered needle (half half), if the needle never moves then this is going to be the most likely cause. Undo part of the dash and replace the clocks
knackered sender on the pump (ding ding ding), my favourite in this category, remove rear seat bench, disconnect battery, open all doors, crack the tank open and replace the pump.

Let others have there say first as

K11 gauges always show the fuel level, they don't return to the bottom when the igniton is turned off. Have you driven the car enough to use an appreciable amount of fuel yet?

thx for the replys guys im waiting for my insurance to come through then im on the road but just wanted to make sure if there was a problem in case i run out lol many thx guys

kev

If the needle does drop as fuel is used you have nothing to worry about. The gauge continues to show an approximate reading regardless of the ignition status.

When the "low fuel" warning light comes on you have approximately 2 gallons left in the tank, so you still have more than 70 miles range!

Try putting some fuel in and see how much you can get in the tank :)

BG

Back