K11 How can I get better MPG

Hi

I have been given a 1994 1.3 K11 Micra CVT free of charge. It used to be my Dad's. He had it since 13,000 miles (2nd owner) & currently it only done 75,000.

It drives like new. I now use it for work, but my main aim is to maximise MPG. I get a petrol allowlance from my employers & I cover approx 17,000 business miles a year.

The more MPG I get means more ££££ for me to keep!

The car been serviced & it totally standard. However, I was wondering what Mods I could do to achieve better MPG?

I have been looking at a K&N filter for it. Any certain spark plugs I could use etc?

Any advice

Thanks

Last edited:
Light foot and tyre pressures always help me. Get a solid 38-43mpg mostly driving through towns including stop/start. Taking a new route to University now that's an extra 10 miles but is a consistent 40-60mph all the way, should find out my mpg for that soon.

I Jonez

I do get fairly good MPG I feel. I get about 300 miles from a 30 litre tank. mixed town driving/motorway driving!

I Jonez

I do get fairly good MPG I feel. I get about 300 miles from a 30 litre tank. mixed town driving/motorway driving!

If you're desperate, try dropping motorway speeds to around 60-65mph and allowing an extra 10 minutes. I've started doing this recently during to road noise/not rushing everywhere. Rather be at a place 10 mins later not feeling wound up haha.

If you're desperate, try dropping motorway speeds to around 60-65mph and allowing an extra 10 minutes. I've started doing this recently during to road noise/not rushing everywhere. Rather be at a place 10 mins later not feeling wound up haha.

I am not in a rush too much, just the 1.3 does cruise very well at 75mph, lol!

don't rush anywhere.
Engine braking.
Slow/ease acceleration.
Keeping revs lower. (I drive in 4th in 30mph zone, in 5th for 40mph zone)
...also try to change gear as smoothly as possible.
Don't keep too close to the guy in front, so you can coast to slow instead of having to press/slam on your brakes.

...basically, drive like your great auntie Ethel :p

I get 65 mpg easily...in my diesel LOL

but I used to get pretty good mpg in my old k11 too, probably around 45mpg?

Take the cold feed off the airbox. It'll be louder, but the warmer, thinner air the engine will draw in SHOULD mean less fuel used (assuming the ecu reads from the MAF while driving?)

any excessive use/waste of kinetic or heat energy that doesn't contribute to the vehicles forward motion is wasted fuel.

reduce all forms of weight onboard,
reduce rolling resistance with original size tyres & pressure,
check wheel alignment is straight and zero toe for minimal resistance,
always set heater to cold during cold starts and get ready to drive away after 30sec so engine heats up to 82c and fuel system runs closed-loop asap,
try to avoid night driving and using the electrical lights & equipment,
try to avoid driving in rain or road spray (electrical load),
use the thinnest appropriate engine/gearbox oil (reduce friction),
regularly change ur oil (reduce friction),
maintain spark gap (better ignition strength & timing),
check dizzy position is synchronised with the ECU (better ignition timing),
keep the dizzy cap rotor points clear of oxide (better ignition strength),
maintain a clean fully working airflow sensor (achieve efficient mixture),
check the O2 sensor is responding fast enough (achieve efficient mixture),
check the coolant sensors working within spec (achieve efficient mixture),
check brakes ain't sticking (reduce friction),
check ur cylinder compression is good (to see if the engine is mechanically wasting all that precious gas energy past the rings as blowby rather than trying to push against the piston/crank),
get the ECU remapped for economy

You'll never great stunning mpg from an auto. That's just the way it is. For info I get 340 miles on a tank in my 1.4 with a 1l gbox. I stay at 60 or slightly less for the motorway else it uses a lot more fuel due to it having the aerodynamics of a brick.

I got 316 miles out of my full tank last time which roughly about 48 MPG. I was quite pleased with that. I have taken out some load as well. Though I think that is tops for the MPG now!

That sounds fine mpg wise to me. I also have the spare wheel and tools removed. I replaced them with a can of tyre weld stuff that a lot of newer cars have nowadays.

Naturally, if had I had a manual I think the MPG be well +50MPG. Though hapy with 48 ish considering it was a free car and I'm making money from it!

Back