Petrol prices

CMF_MALLIE

» CMF Member
Now we all know that petrol prices and on the up and up but I dunno what my local Caltex Woolies servo is doing. Yesterday afternoon unleaded was like $1.28 then a few hours later it went down to $1.08?! My wife thinks someone accidently put the wrong numbers up but it had $1.28 then $1.24 on discount so I don't think they could have done them both wrong.

Man I would have been spewing if I got petrol at $1.28 then it was $1.08 later that day, that's just MEAN!

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
WEll in good old Tassie prices are always dearer than mainland. Have been paying 1.20 / litre for prem.unleaded for months!!
No 98% down here, Targa Tassie cars bring their own or heaps of octane booster.
Exciting news guys, they have just launched the Hillman Imp in Tassie.Lokks neat. Rear engined and all!!!

CMF_eM

» CMF Member
There is a caltex near my house and the prices there change so much. When I came home at lunch it said 1.13 and then about 4pm that day it was 97c. It's about 1.10 here on average.

I remember when I bought my car petrol was 73c the 1st time I ever filled up.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
You guys !!! Could never top that.Very very funny.
Funny a lot of people reckon they are still around.
When you see some of Tassie and the wilderness you can believe it.
A lot of rumours that the Govt. knows where some are but are saying nothing to keep the nutters away.
Anyway a good story.
Ah well I can remember as a small one that the milk and bread were delivered by a horse and cart. Used to hang the milk can up and the guy would fill it up from a large vat in the back of the cart.Guess if the horse farted and did a **** you got some extra.
Did not have a fridge either just an ice box and a new block of ice delivered each day. Every suburb had an ice works and a bakery.Bread in those days was the best.
Gee makes me old eh but one of my uncles told me before he died he saw more in his 90years than the rest of mankind before him. AS he said from the horse to a man on the moon in his lifetime. No other generation will see that sort of progression.
Sorry if I have bored you and sorry Seano gone off topic a bit.
Come on we have petrol stations but get tired sometimes using the hand pump. Like the stations that have it stored above ground, a lot easier to fill.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I can remember the milkman and his Clydesdale horse. Mum got me up early one morning so I could see them.
The horse was so clever it would walk from house to next house and then pause while the guy ran in with the milk and cream etc. I can still remember the clop clop sound of the horse.
Say what you like about being old fashioned but people were less intense and there was no road rage back then, apart from drunk driving (which was unenforced and very bad) you were a lot safer on the roads.
Don't you agree Dave??

Mychael

cisco

» CMF Member
If petrol was $2.33 or even $3 a litre here, it would make all the V8 drivers think again :)

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Add gas guzzling 4wd which should have a tax put on them if you are not using it say for genuine rural use.
I reckon in 10 years time max., petrol in Aussie will be well over $2.00 a litre.
ITs being consumed quicker than what new finds are being bought into production with China wanting more and more.
Our little Micras will be ( are) the way to go.!!!

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Diesel is the future for large cars in australia.

Torquey & efficient - and they don't even smell too bad anymore.

Mind you, Gen3 (LS1) commonwhore owners don't seem to be overly phased by the prices - i think because alot of those people running the LS1-edit are reporting fuel economy of around 12L/100km when driven sensibly. That's just crazy...

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Hell that's only around 23MPG, that's nothing to boast about. That would be driving efficiently, how many modern day drivers can/know how to do that?

Our Micras give over 40 mpg at legal speeds.

My Triumph, 1950's technology, gives 33mpg @ a steady 70mph.

The Nissan Skyline I owned in the 80's gave 12l/100k so it does not look as if things have got a lot better.

Personally I'm taking sadistic delight in pondering how all those arrogant/pushy big car drivers will be suffering when prices go up and realistically they'll never get lower.

A lot of people simply do not need the cars they have except for ego.How many large cars do you see with one driver? "Sports" ute's that will never do an honest trade day in their life?

I've been able to do everything I've ever needed to do with my Micra and a trailor and modern small cars can last as long as the bigger ones and do the long trips just as easily and reliably.

We'll still be around with our small cars whilts the big boys bleed to death,,ya gotta love it... hahahahahahahahha

Mychael

cisco

» CMF Member
Hehehehe yep totally agree.

And I calculated my highway fuel economy on the weekend to be 7.3L/100km and my car puts out about the same power as an EF 4Litre Falcon and half the weight. Muhahah. That was with a few boosting squirts too. It would get even better with an Autronic computer.

Big cars suck basically. 90% of the time they are for meatheads who just live an average life with their brain turned off the whole time. Not all the time, but so many large car drivers are such stupid ignorant average dumb people. Yeah I hope it gets upto about $3/L, that will really make them think. There are heaps of genuine people who need a big car though, but more that have one and don't :)

Even $1.50/litre is piss cheap really when you consider the number of inefficient crap huge cars we have out there. If fuel was so valuable, we would instantly get all the pieces of **** like 20 year old carbie v8s right off the road. Once the prices rise a bit more, it will really make some idiots think twice about what they really need in a car.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Hmm yes BP Ultimate is soon to be on the diet and I don't look forward to paying.

My dad usually gets regular unleaded for free as he works in the industry... So altogether I've only paid around $200 for petrol in the last year and a half...

Seano

CMF_ricardo_Swarez

» CMF Member
its like 85pence per litre in england, i just used a conversion thing to get that 2.33 or watever it was, but in england we're well known for being screwed over by the government, its about 70% tax of that 85pence per litre, sick

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Diesel is slightly more expensive than petrol here.

Emissions arent the problem. The government has no problem with it AFAIK.

The australian public can't get past the idea of diesels being slow, smelly, rattly and having better fuel economy than a petrol.

Australians also don't seem to understand that torque plays a major part in how a car accelerates. They don't seem to realise that turbo diesels are capable of stupidly huge amounts of torque at 2500rpm...

They'll realise eventually when an audi A3 turbo diesel blows away a HSV Clubsport in the traffic light grandprix anyway. :)

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Bahaha speaking of turbo diesels. My dad bought a bleed valve for our new Patrol a few days ago and I wound it up to around 12psi (according to ****ty stock guage) for a few mins.

Man it hauled for a 2.5tonne vehicle!!

Sean

cisco

» CMF Member
Seriously 4 cyl?? Like massive 4 pots? I thought they were a 6. Interesting..

cisco

» CMF Member
Yep I'll give you that SSS > The average Australian person is pretty stupid. We have a reputation around the world as being pretty dumb. Bad luck for everyone who isn't dumb :)

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
I've been wondering why you guys are whinging about prices recently, it's usually 97c/l to 109c/l where i am has been for awhile, yesterday i got ripped for BP ultimate @ 117.9c after seeing my local bp has unleaded for 103.9c/l bugger! and saw a bp today with 113.9c/l for unleaded, hate to see the price ultimate, and gee no 98 octane in tassy, seems i've got it pretty easy here on the Sunshine Coast :p. but damn, the uk members are getting ripped, if petrol was that price here i'd move closer to uni, lol,

Alex

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Seano - the only engine options the GU (Y61) has ever been given in australia:

Series 1 (1998 to 2000): TB45E (4.5L SOHC petrol fuel guzzler)
TD42 (4.2L NA diesel)
RD28T (2.8L turbo diesel)
All were 6 cylinders.

Series 2 (2000 to 2002): TB45E
TD42T (same old 4.2L donk + snail)
ZD30DDTi (3.0L DOHC direct injection, intercooled turbo diesel. This is the first 4cyl motor to ever be fitted to a modern day patrol, and when it was released it was probably the most sophisticated turbo diesel in australia. original revision made 116kW and 376NM of torque i think it was)

Series 3/4 (2002 to present day) TB48DE (4.5L bored out to 4.8L, DOHC, the 185kW and 420NM of torque. Absolutely stunning performance for a big patrol, shame it drinks like a sailor)
-TD42T (now has intercooler, power boosted to 112kW and 360NM of torque)
-ZD30DDTi has a slight ecu re-tune, and now gives 118kW of power and 380NM of torque.

I'd really like to know where you put the boost controller if you had the ZD30. It's boost is electronically controlled, and when cold it doesnt go past 5psi, and when its warmed up it is completely variable. Each gear has preset boost. I'm not sure about the manual, but I know on the auto the little 3.0L runs on 14psi of boost when you hammer it.

lol

You should really see the new pathfinder's 2.5L turbo diesel. Its a YD25, and it makes 126kW of power, and 400NM (or something like that) torque!!! From a 2.5L!!! Phwoar!

thesarah - should have got a micra. :p

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Not sure of the engine code but that sounds about right.

Yep its a manual and it doesn't have a closed loop system. I borrowed one from a mate before my dad actually bought one.

Sean

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Ok. I'm not doubting you BTW, I'm just absolutely certain the ZD30 has its own electronic boost controller, which can (and has been) re-programmed with a piggyback ECU.

I'm definately going to check it out further again though!

CMF_Thorpsta

» CMF Member
oi tom my dad looked at a gq patrol yesterday:p mate this one was about to explode the guy had a front mount and a turbo that would make my head tims head look small and that is big. i aint sure wat engine it was but yeh it was runnig 17 psi. dad didnt get it cos after getting the turbo the guy would the kms back to 40000 k's wat a dunce lolz

cisco

» CMF Member
Petrol is so cheap. $1.09/litre Approx $1.20 for 98RON.

Crazily cheap in this day and age. No reason for me to stop boosting around. People still driving 7 litre V8s, then you know its seriously cheap. $3/litre will make some people start to think. We have it good here.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
geee, were up late tonight arn't we. prices are haywire up here, just yesterday it was 94.0 at shell (mind you with a huge lineup) 100.8 at BP and 113.8 at another BP 15 mins away, almost 20cents difference within 25km,

Alex

Back