Permanent Hearing Loss?

I've been to a few tribute band concerts over here and usually sat well back from the stage. Still found it to be pretty loud, however, and by the end of the evening my tired old ears were ringing much more than they usually do (touch of tinitus).

But last night wife, son and self went to the Area here in Nottingham and saw the Scissor Sisters. As a result I think I've probably suffered permanent hearing loss. We arrived around 1830 and took our seats which were about 75 feet to the side of stage center. On either side of the stage there were blocks of speakers bigger than my Micra. They were pumping out what I can only describe as droaning, monotonous, and very loud, music to, perhaps, dance to. No lyrics to speak of just, well, sound, with a very heavy bass.

I thought I'd heard some pretty heavy bass out of the boots of some of the cars at JAE but they paled to insignificance compared to this lot. The speakers actually seemed to be bouncing around a bit but I'm sure that was probably me being jolted around in my seat.

The opening act was a band named "Gossip." A young lady drummer, a guitarist of indeterminate sex and a rather large (really large) young lady
vocalist in a clinging yellow knit dress (?) and silver snake skin tights. A sight to see, and hear.

The Scissor Sisters themselves put on quite a show, their lead singer a regular whirlwind of hyperkinetic energy while his female counterpart was only a little more restrained.

A good concert, all in all, but I would have prefered not to have waited for 2 1/2 hours for the Sisters to come on while that astounding bass rattled the fillings out of my teeth.

S

Lol, sounds like you had a good time then. My ears are always ringing when I go out to clubs etc - went to a rave about 6 months ago and was dancing next to some speakers for about 6 hours. Came out of the club and couldn't hear a thing. I mean my friends were shouting in my ear and I could hardly hear it, just some vibrations. Can't be good really. And the other night (bonfire night) I was in Lewes and a banger went off right next to my head. Lost hearing in my right ear that night as well. Plus when I was in Ibiza this year, I think I must have been hard of hearing for the whole two weeks. Must start looking after my ears more.

my ears are terrible, always have been even if i go out clubbing which isnt too loud they can ring for days. I refuse to go anywhere that is too loud without ear plugs, i just wont risk my hearing.

Last gig I went to was coldplay, We managed to get right up to the stage literally against the barrier, but was stood about 2 metres away from 5 very large speakers. Needless to say - my ears were ringing for ages afterwards.

If its too loud, it can make you dizzy - which might be why you thought the speakers were moving!

Sorry can you repeat that :p

It had to be said.

When I was at a Tiesto gig my ears were ringing for a good bit after it, but when I went to Coloursfest which was 11 hours straight of very loud heavy dance music I could hear fine :S

Was out at a club on Tues and again my ears were fine. I think they are used to it now though as I always have music loud,lol.

In all seriousness, its a good idea to wear those inear type of dear defenders. It's not fun being half deaf, I spent nearly 10 years of my life like this untill a doctor finally found out why, and now I can hear properly again I actually find stuff like this painfull. A guy who I did PA with used to always wear inear defenders, it actually helps you hear the audio better since your hearing is not being so stressed. For young kids I would say its vital, they have much more sensertive hearing than say somone even in their 20's.

Wise words, Ed. I did actually have a pair of those foam ear plugs at the concert, as did my wife and son. Still incredibly loud, however.

Incidentally, ScrewFix are supposed to sell the most effective in-ear hearing defenders.

S

In all seriousness, its a good idea to wear those inear type of dear defenders. It's not fun being half deaf, I spent nearly 10 years of my life like this untill a doctor finally found out why, and now I can hear properly again I actually find stuff like this painfull. A guy who I did PA with used to always wear inear defenders, it actually helps you hear the audio better since your hearing is not being so stressed. For young kids I would say its vital, they have much more sensertive hearing than say somone even in their 20's.

Wise words.

All of u should try and protect your hearing. U may think it's funny now, but when it's gone, it's gone. Apparently tinnitus and loss of sound for a varied amout of time is a warning. And the more u do it, the less likely u r to recover.

Ed, what did they find was wrong? I have high pitch hearing loss, so can't hear stuff like mobile phones or birds singing etc. But apparently my ears r completely normal!! I often get upset knowing that people take their hearing for granted, one thing i wish for is having perfect hearing.

Ems I was fobbed off with hearing drops for years. Finally a doctor sent some samples off and it turned out I had an infection since I had done my GCSE's , no idea how. 6 weeks of antibiotics and new type of ear drops and now I can hear better than I can ever remember hearing. I don't know weather I have suffered any long term damage or not. I was supposed to be going to have more checks done but thats not happend yet. It was only this year that I finally have had it sorted. My alarm now wakes me up and I can hear what people say, which is nice, most of the time :p.
However now stuff which didnt bother me at all hurts lol. Like anglegrinding metal, and hammering, using my batterd old petrol lawnmower etc haha. I have to use ear protection or I get what everyone has been talking about in this thread i.e. ringing short term hearing loss :)

Samples of what lol!! Earwax?!!!

I've had brain scans and all sorts but they're still baffled!! I think they've given up on me tbh!!

I fear I have some form of tinitus,

and its not necessarily caused by loud noises, its something to do with the blood flow through your ears, its very common as well.

Only seems to be in my right ear most of the time, but it does get significantly worse after a heavy night out so loud noises do have an impact on it.

I read somewhere though that people who live quiet lives (countryside etc) have less sensitive hearing than people who live in the city/loud places, but this might be wrong... dunno where i read it.

The opening act was a band named "Gossip." A young lady drummer, a guitarist of indeterminate sex and a rather large (really large) young lady
vocalist in a clinging yellow knit dress (?) and silver snake skin tights.
They sound cool. I'm looking out for them!

Big lady, big sound.

Pics:

Attachments

• IMG0001.jpg
    IMG0001.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG0001_1.jpg
    IMG0001_1.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG0001_2.jpg
    IMG0001_2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 154
I used to think Ed was deaf and dumb, now it's ok, cos I know he's just dumb :p

I have to have regular hearing tests to ensure my work doesn't affect my hearing. Even when I'm only exposed to medium levels of noise now, I wear ear defenders. You can actually hear the important bits better with them on...

my hearing is amaizing. i was watching a DVD with amanda in the front room with two doors shut.....up loud......amber (her daughter) was upstairs in her room watching a disney princess DVD..... and half way through... i could hear that it was playing on the main menu.....over and over again.....
it realy wound me up..

and i hate it when people turn the tv on.....in the other side of the house.... i can hear the electricity coming on...GRR

and even my mobile phone.... you know the sound of your phone over speakers... the "bip bip dadadada bip beeep"... sound?? i can actualy hear that before my phone goes off...!!!!!!!

its not funny

Back