Passed my exams.

Krian

Fear me, for I am Onibaku
A few of you know that I've been studying to become an electrician. Well, I managed to pass my first round of exams today, so im officially a qualified domestic electrical installer.

Which means I can finally start working as an electrician! :laugh:

Next step is to take my BS 2381 and BS 2391, and hopefully in a years time or so ill be able to take the final city and guilds courses to get my full qualification. But i'm extremely happy I passed!

Anyway peeps, ciao for now.

Congrats!! Be prepared for the 'mate could you do us a quick favour' lines now you've told the world!!!

Ems said:
Congrats!! Be prepared for the 'mate could you do us a quick favour' lines now you've told the world!!!

Yeap, my biggest mistake telling everyone im an IT technician. I've started charging now (unless its for close friends/family or returned favours) as I was getting people ringing me "my friends, friends, aunty's stepfather's niece's PC cant access the internet- can you fix it?".

m1ck97 said:
Yeap, my biggest mistake telling everyone im an IT technician. I've started charging now (unless its for close friends/family or returned favours) as I was getting people ringing me "my friends, friends, aunty's stepfather's niece's PC cant access the internet- can you fix it?".

i get that all the time :|

Heh, that's already started, tho a lot of it is "XYZ wants garden lights, how much would you charge?" to which i normally reply, "well, its a special location, and i'd need to run SWA cable, which is pricey, plus the lights are expensive, so its gonna be quite pricey." "Oh thats ok, they just want someone to do it!" :love: yay for earning money.

Well done mate, my cousin is a electrician and earns a fortune compared to me.

m1ck97 said:

I get the same too, friends of friends think i am there personal mechanic... :laugh:

Maby i should re-train as a sparky, Qualified in portable appliance testing and basic repair.

Recon i should go for it?

Are you part P approved? you done your NICEIC? It's a good line of work to get into, if you can I'd suggest you try and get a bit of commercial experiance, it's amazing the amount of sparkies that'll stand about scratching their heads, we need more good sparkies!!!

Well im setting up as a sole trader and the NICEIC require businesses to "have carried out domestic electrical installation work for not less than 12 months prior to making an application" for receiving your part p, which is a bit sucky.

Im considering going with Napit or Elecsa for my part p approval, as they have no time requirements, but NICEIC are probably the most well known. So I think i'll probably just get every thing checked by building control for the next year or so.

On the plus side I quoted for lighting a garden yesterday, and installing a couple of exterior sockets, and I think they're gonna accept so yay for my first job :laugh:

Yeah from a specifiers point of view we won't touch anyone unless their NICEIC registered so yeah try and get in with them when you can. Maybe register with another body for now, and tell people your working towards meeting the NICEIC requirements at the time being, 12months will fly by.

Good luck with it mate.

Grumpy

Be prepared for silly requests.. I work in IT and the dumbest one I had was someone asking me why the microwave in the tea room wasnt working. Arghh. Well done on passing anyway!

Back