Parts costing

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I don't know if anyone has ever checked before but I priced up all the parts needed to replace timing chain, sprockets, tensioner etc with any gaskets and seals required.

My car even with it's 300k does not seem to need them but I thought i might do them as a preventative thing given the miles I've accumulated.

Anyway, cost for all parts (no labour) would be about $665.

Not cheap but a lot less expensive the a whole engine head repair if a chain breaks or jumps a tooth.

Mychael

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Prices seem to have come down a little recently in that case. I remember distinctly that the price on the parts was around the $800 mark about 12 months ago. This made getting a second hand jap engine a very feasible option instead of replacing the chains/tensioner etc.

Good work Michael. Cheers for the update.

If there's one thing I am worried about it's the chains. Not too noisy but there's been plenty fail with less kms than mine.
- 170 000km
We'll see.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I never worried till I spoke to a guy down here with a Super S. He had a failure and naturally I assumed he must have had rattle but ignored it.
He reckons no noise, the engine just stopped.

Having said all that as we know some ppl are total dunces when it comes to mechanical things and maybe there was a rattle and he just did not know what it meant.

Mychael

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
On another subject. Had my CV joint repaired today. Total cost (including labour) was $286.
This was for a brand new Australian made component, the full shaft with all new bits both ends.
Plus a 5yr or 100,000k warranty on the parts.

That was a better deal/price then what I found on e-bay for Chinese made stuff with only 12 months guarantee.

Why would anyone bother with a new car when Micras last so long and are so cheap to maintain.

Mychael

CMF_MicraNut

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

"I don't know if anyone has ever checked before but I priced up all the parts needed to replace timing chain, sprockets, tensioner etc with any gaskets and seals required.<BR><BR>My car even with it's 300k does not seem to need them but I thought i might do them as a preventative thing given the miles I've accumulated.<BR><BR>Anyway, cost for all parts (no labour) would be about $665.<BR><BR>Not cheap but a lot less expensive the a whole engine head repair if a chain breaks or jumps a tooth.<BR><BR>Mychael

Cost me £410/$968 for parts inc labour. I work for a nissan dealership and the £410 is including staff discount.

The parts i needed were: tensioner assembly, gear idler and timing chain which in total cost £208.72/$492.93 for the parts only which includes reduction of £25.56/$60.35 for staff discount.

I've been told by a mechanic that customers can expect to pay £600+/ $1,416.76+ for a timing chain replacement.

CMF_MicraNut

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

"Gee that's expensive. And they are made in the Uk.<BR><BR>Mychael

I'm not too sure on that one Mychael. I was told that the parts were being shipped in from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I assume the parts were Dutch seeing as they were shipped in from the Netherlands. Yes it was expensive but at least it's done now!

Cheers,

Ben.

Back