painting interior trim ie switch panel

alchemyst

Ex. Club Member
hi i am considering painting the centre dash/console trim that the switches are in can anybody whos done this recommend a brand of paint that works well?
i assume it will need plastic primer aswell am i right?
obvious choice would be halfords but friends have had probs with paint from them so im reluctant!
cheers for any help
:grinning:

I've used paint from halfords, never had a problem..

And yeah, sand it back, couple layers of plastic primer, couple layers of colour, couple layers of laquer. Sanding between coats, particularly between primer/colour/laquer will give you the best finish.

Thin layers are better than thick layers don't forget ;)

follow Roberts painting instructions as he is spot on ;) !
ive been to halfords a few times now for them to make a spray can up and the colour is perfect imo!!!! not a fault! but the cans on the shelves are the same so shouldnt be a problem?
depends what colour your going for?

Attachments

• PICT0186.JPG
    PICT0186.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 3,016
yeah napster your dash is what im going for but obviously in the shade of red my micra is, dont supose anybody knows it? plain none metalic red on a 1993 super s?:grinning:

I just used an off the shelf blue on mine and you cant really tel lthe difference was probably cheaper than having it made up to the exact colour. If its just red find one thats as close to the car as possible because if its the console its so far from the actual paintwork on the outside that you cant tell the difference. this is the paint I used http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...3958-90885-90886-98688_parentcategoryrn_90894 with just some halfords clear lacquer and some plastic primer I had already and just follow roberts instructions.

DSC00882.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

I would've thought your colour code is AJ4, flame red.
Halfords sell it off the shelf and won't need to mix it.

I sprayed my centre console, and didnt even bother rubbing it down or using primer, just lots of very thin layers of paint. Halfords colour match stuff off the shelf and the match is pretty spot on. Finished with a few coats of laquer and it looks lush!

i can never get a good finish with halfords of the shelf stuff, i end up going to a motorfactors and getting holts spray paint, find it easier to get a good finish.

The paint they mix has a good applicator, you get a very neat vertical fan, makes it very easy to get an even coat.

ive been to halfords a few times now for them to make a spray can up and the colour is perfect imo!!!! not a fault! but the cans on the shelves are the same so shouldnt be a problem?

that plug socket is genius

where did you get that cup holder bit?? i want one

where did you get that cup holder bit?? i want one

it's a Dashpod, from Japan...they pop up occasionally on ebay or within the Sale threads here...rather rare... :oops:
a proper JDM part...if you're feeling flush, check yahoo auctions and import one direct from Japan yourself ;)

ETA: by the way google translate to change search request into Japanese, no dash pods at the moment it seems :p

I've recently sprayed my k11 dash in black with splash effect blue any paint will be fine as long as u clean the area well before and lacker after :)

This wat it turned out like

Attachments

• 1377085949656.jpg
    1377085949656.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 623
  • 1377085958355.jpg
    1377085958355.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 544
  • 1377085967491.jpg
    1377085967491.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 505
i'd just like to note, before anyone goes running off to halfords for a paint match:

1) its not a guaranteed match. ive got a CT0 colour code - caramel brown pearl, and halfords can mix it. BUT..... when i used it, it was 3 of 4 shades too light. there was a huge difference between the pain on the car and the paint on my wrap-around spoiler.....

2) its £15.99 per can. around 3X that of their off-the-shelf paints.

Back