WHEEL PAINTING & REFURB...

I've just got a couple of questions about painting wheels and a few other things...

Basically, is there any particular type/supplier of primer/paint/lacquer I should use? I've heard to stay away from Halfords... what about Wilkos?

Is it possible to just lacquer over bare stripped steel wheels (I've stripped a set and they've come up a lovely, shiney silver which I prob won't be able to replicate with paint) or does this not provide enough protection?

What can I use to fill in any small blemishes/scratches in the wheels?

When painting rear hubs is there anything in particular I should use? I've seen people just spray them, some use Hammerite, others use heat resistant paint?

Your help is appreciated guys, I wanna do this right!

Where are you based, since I passed my JDM minilite lookalike wheels to a powder coating company in Bham.. very cheaply too

You dont need too do anything special just prepare the wheel well then any generic primer paint and laquer you won't need heat resistant paint. Can fill scratches with plastic filler i found it handles the bouncing better. You could laquer the bare metal but you'd have too do the entire wheel and any stone chip or scratch will ruin it fast.

Etch primer is an acidic, high coverage paint. It improves adhesion to bare metal, but use in a well ventilated area or wear a mask, its very potent. Top coat will stick better basically.

Attachments

• autotek-professional-grey-acid-etch-primer-aluminium-galvanised-metal-primer-1245-p.jpg
    autotek-professional-grey-acid-etch-primer-aluminium-galvanised-metal-primer-1245-p.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 251
Etch primer is an acidic, high coverage paint. It improves adhesion to bare metal, but use in a well ventilated area or wear a mask, its very potent. Top coat will stick better basically.

Nice, cheers for that! Had heard of it but wasn't sure what it was for... Any suggestions on the Lacquer?

u can get special wheel lacquer. But not sure about difference compared to normal stuff? more hard wearing i would think. :)

Back