painting alloys black

Best way to do it I would say is mask off the area you want leaving silver, sand the rest of it back to give a surface for it to stick to then apply paint the same way you would to any other part of the car. Then either polish the lip up or just leave it silver and laquer the full lot. :)

yeah laquer the polished rim while its all cleen and looking good cos it will weather and look crap if yah dont

reet first off all you wanna get them acid dipped, isnt expensive and saves your hands from lots of big blisters. then do you want black with silver lip or black with polished lip. polished lip looks better but you cant protect it as laquer wont stick to the metal. but then again silver doesnt look as nice (but thats like saying jennifer aniston isnt as pretty and angelina jolie) anyways buy some acid etched primer as this will properly stick to the bare metal that been freshly dipped. do 3 or 4 coats of this and then gently sand it using wet and dry until you get a smooth finish (run your fingers over it and u will feel any bumps or highspots) then if you are goin silver lip mask of this area (i recomend doin this with electrical tape and its streches and you can get a smooth line around the outside, then mask the rest with maskin tape. spray on you black, again 3-4 coats. then mask the middle part and then spray your silver lip with 3-4 coats. wait a day or two for the paint to harden then very very gently rub down the paint until silky smooth, use very fine wet and dry and dont rub through the paint. then laquer over with 2-3 coats and make sure it doesnt run.

if you want polish lip mask off the lip then spray ur black as before, wait for this to harden then use the polishing kit (usually comes with instructions) and the mask this off once polished. laquer over the black (or not if you want a matt black finish, it looks hard trust me) job done.

u can get the polishing kit from machine mart or tinterweb somewhere. if you polsih invest in shares of autosyl coz you will use a lot of it. if you polish i used to clean mine every 2-3 days and polish them otherwise they becme scratched and crappy. same again if you matt black but use lots of wheel wax to protect them.

just take it slow ont he wheels and they look good, try not to work to a deadline as i guarentee this will feck it up. goodluck mate

you could just leave em silver, black wheels look naff - (in case you havent realised by now im leading the one man marching brigade against black wheels)

Big_ben said:
you could just leave em silver, black wheels look naff - (in case you havent realised by now im leading the one man marching brigade against black wheels)

no....i posted a while ago that black wheels arent "different" anymore lol and people with silve wheel are the minority now :D

im going bronze :p ,,,,,,,,so its a 2 man army hahaha

Big_ben said:

All comes down to personal taste. They look good with the right colour scheme. :)

micra man said:
All comes down to personal taste. They look good with the right colour scheme. :)

to be honest Dan, i dont think they do but this is just my opinion. To me they just look like steelies unless you get up close. Sometimes the ones with lips look ok but in general i thik they look rubbish - silver is the way forward.

There is a snot green focus around my end and he had black wheels, he has now sprayed them the same colour as the car and although it looks rubbish it still one million times better :D

Big_ben said:
To me they just look like steelies

thats what im goin for m8. i dont like my car being flashy etc just sublte mods. i find moding ur car attracts chavs/neds that scratch it and try to break in etc so im just doin tints, spoiler, skirts, black alloys and a good headunit and that will be me.

joe boy micra said:
thats what im goin for m8. i dont like my car being flashy etc just sublte mods. i find moding ur car attracts chavs/neds that scratch it and try to break in etc so im just doin tints, spoiler, skirts, black alloys and a good headunit and that will be me.

and lowered? it makes the ride much more fun :)

just painted my wheels black last night, just cos they were kerbed to #### and the cars getting featured tomorrow!

Back