pads are rubbing on the disk

B

bal

its happening on both sides and today i had a look and the pads are rubbing on the disk
there is a good half a pad left on them
so i took off the calipers and took off the brake fluid cap then i pushed the piston back on the caliper and refitted the pads to try and rest them but when i pumped my brakes they went back to how they were
has this happened to anyone before?
any ideas??

any help is appreciated

erm....they do actually touch u know? as long as theres no friction and the wheel is turning with ease theres no problem

at all speeds weather im accelerating or not i can hear them scraping
surely this isnt normal

are your discs worn down, if they are then the ridge around the outside of the disc can come into contact with the caliper causing a scraping sound, this ridge also builds up a layer of rust which can then contact the caliper, also check the condition of the backplates are they touching the disc anywhere, these tend to rust and become quite flexible.

Are you very very sure there's "half a disc" left? The actual friciton area used by the pad isn't particularly huge, so they wear down pretty quickly with harsh braking...

If you could even take a picture it would probably quite easy to diagnose?

It sounds like either your discs and pads really need replacing (micra 'scraping' noise is very common when it's at the end of life, as you probably already know from the sounds of it) - or the piston itself is locking on then not being taken back off - sounds liek you need the brake system perhaps bled, and fluid flushed and replaced.

did u use a wire brush n clean the "pad holding bit of the calipers" sometimes u get alot of muck there n the pads r sticky but if u know bout taking calipers apart n pushing the piston back im sure u know what the level of life left in ur pads r but i would recommend changing the pads they only cost a couple of quid n will prob solve ur problem n u wont need them changin 4 that bit longer

thanks
ill have another double check for rust anywhere but
im gonna just fit new pads and see if this fixes it
if not flush the fluids

thanks again

Back