Strange issue with front brake pads/calipers

Not sure what the root cause is, but yesterday I noticed that (having driven a short while on a dual carriageway where the speed limit was 50mph) the car started labouring to keep up speed. As soon as I would ease off the gas pedal the car would begin slowing drastically, then getting the speed back up seemed to take a lot of effort, so much so that I could hear the exhaust start to rattle.

Then I began smelling a burnt rubber type of smell coming in from my drivers side window. I pulled over as soon as possible (fortunately, I was able to get off the carriageway and onto smaller side roads) and immediately got out to see what it might be. I followed the burning smell to the front of the car, and looked under the bonnet, but couldn't see anything (or smell any burning). It was then I looked around at the offside front wheel and that's where the smell seemed to be coming from.

Took the car to a local greasemonkey, and he took the wheel off and showed me that the brake pads were getting worn down way too rapidly. Apparantly they were causing damage to the brake disc as well. There isn't any of this happening on the other side (nearside, that is), just the driver's side. Although he tried, he couldn't replicate the same thing (brake pads sticking) and told me he couldn't say with certainty what might be causing this, and that I should bring the car back to him when the problem arises again.

I'm not too sure about waiting to see if the same thing happens again, and it's got me a little worried seeing as its obviously something to do with the braking system.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing, or know what the actual cause could be? If its the caliper on that side, then at least I can get it replaced. The uncertaintly of the mechanic has got me worried about what might be causing this :(

btw, sorry fot the wall of text

I have had calipers stick on a few times on Micras mate.

Pistons stick out compressing the pads onto the disc & do no retract to release the pressure when you lift your foot off the brake pedal.

Either servicing the caliper with new seals & a piston or a refurbished unit should see you rite :)

I prefer to change things in pairs with brakes so maybe getting the nearside unit looked at as well?

Skinner

I have had calipers stick on a few times on Micras mate.

Pistons stick out compressing the pads onto the disc & do no retract to release the pressure when you lift your foot off the brake pedal.

Either servicing the caliper with new seals & a piston or a refurbished unit should see you rite :)

I prefer to change things in pairs with brakes so maybe getting the nearside unit looked at as well?

Skinner

Thanks for the info, mate :)

Been looking through old posts on here and came across this thread: http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/changing-a-k11-brake-caliper.44982/

It seems to have very similar symptoms to what my car is having at the moment. I'm just wondering if I actually need to change the caliper(s) or the problem can be related to something else.

Took the car to kwik fit for one of their free brake checks, and they've confirmed that the offside caliper is sticking, just as Skinner mentioned above.

Was just wondering how much I ought to be looking to pay for a reconditioned caliper, and whether I should change the nearside one as well?

Just to add, don't change any brake parts in ones! Only pairs :).

Brake pads and disks should be replaced in pairs. The calipers don't need to be.

I have used Brakeparts International before. Good service.
They list front caliper for 93-02 Micra £41 + £30 Which you get back when they receive your old caliper.

no ideas at all i'm afraid. yeah it looks identical doesn't it! i presume they're one and the same, but carparts4less don't seem to have any walk-in shops. i just bought a pair of discs off them, like £4 less each than euro car parts. so we'll see the quality on monday!

I have used Brakeparts International before. Good service.
They list front caliper for 93-02 Micra £41 + £30 Which you get back when they receive your old caliper.

What were their calipers like? I've never heard of the Budweg brand before.

...we'll see the quality on monday!

Could you let me know about the quality as well? Thanks :)

Back