Overheating Issues!

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Well the car isn't proving as reliable this time round!

A current issue is when I'm driving around town in stop start conditions the temperature of the engine slowly rises until its pretty much brushing the H mark, the fan doesn't come on and I have to use the manual switch that has been installed.
However even with the fan on the temperature doesn't seem to come down, I had to park up for five minutes on the way home today because it was getting that hot.
Its never going to cope in summer!

As well as the issue with the fan not coming on the cooling system seems to have lost a lot of efficiency, even in stationary traffic it never used to go more than 3/4 of the way up the gauge.

I've looked at the coolant but am unsure of what level it should be without an expansion tank?
When I turn the fan on manually, the air coming off the radiator is cold rather than hot as I'd expect.

Is this likely to be thermostat, or dunked up radiator??

Cheers
Rich

Just nipped to the shop about a mile and a half away, by the time I got there temperature was nearly hot and there wasn't much warm air from the heaters, either the temperature gauge is wrong, or somehow water isn't getting to the radiator or through the system... Agh!

coolant level without exp. tank should be 1-2 cm from the top i think (somebody correct me if i am wrong)

I think it could be thermostat, if you are willing to flush the system, remove it, check it in warm/hot water and if faulty, replace..

if not.. broken water pump, something stuck in radiator, air bubble in the system..

The water pump and cambelt where changed just before I bought it, although as I didn't fit them I don't know how well, Imp124 seems to know what he's doing though...

Whereabouts is the K10 thermostat? (I can't find my haynes lol)

Cheers

Edit: Oh and my coolant is below the level of the top fins... Oops! I'll top that up tonight, and lets hope I don't have a major leak!

you will find the thermostat when you will follow the top radiator tube. it comes to three-screw housing cover, unscrew it and there it is.. if it is stuck, dont lever it out, cut around the rim with sometihng sharp, but be careful, it is quite soft

Well, topped up by like a litre of coolant! Ran engine in garage and its coming out of near where the pulley that drives the alternator is, fairly quickly...
Guessing this is the waterpump area? ######.

The gasket was changed and surfaces were clean on the water pump, thats all i could think it could possibly be? one thing i did not change was the thermostat.

Ah well the coolant worked to sort out the temperature, just trying to work out where the water is from, gonna have to jack up and take the splash guard off for a closer look.

i broke down on the motorway due to the waterpump on the alternator side it was gushing out! after i got the water pump fixed i had the same symptoms... no hot air from the heaters only luke warm, got a thermostat from halfords for less than a tenner with gasket and changed it all seems to be working now as the thermostat was stuck open indicating it was knackered:
so yeah water pump and the thermostat:
mine
DSCF1001.jpg

DSCF1002.jpg

good luck (Y)

Well I'll have a look in an hour or so, waiting for a phone call right now.

Pretty sure the 'stat is fine now as when I keep it topped up the temperature and heater is fine... Cheers though :)

Never done a water pump on a k10, but especially vehicles that use the water pump as a tensioner, always put a bit of silicone around the seal, saves the hassle of having to redo the cambelt becuase of a little water leak.

Well its more than little, lol, looks like theres been some gunk or something put on it at one point, or radweld. Not sure, will update tomorrow!

Back