Overheating issues.

Micra Jim

Ex. Club Member
Hi guys,

My car is starting to over heat really badly now, and has gotten progressively worse over afew months.

I use to be able to put the fans on hot and the windows open and it would cool down, but now whatever i do the engine runs hot.

I checked the coolant level and it was low, so i topped it up, and helped a little. A few days later i found i had to top up the level again, as it was just below the MIN level.

But today i saw a puddle under the alternator/fan belt, and i think it is where the coolant is leaking. But i'm not sure.

Is this the water pump leaking, as i'm not sure.

Also i have found that getting heat through the blowers is getting increasingly difficult, even if the engine is running very hot. Does this have any significance?

Anyone have any idea's would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
James.

The water pump is in that area, but you should be able to see it dripping if it is leaking, behind the cam belt cover.

Do you know when it was last checked / changed?

I know for certain that it hasn't been changed within a few years. Do they check it when it's serviced? If not, it hasn't been checked for at least 2 years.

It definitely is the anti freeze mixture, as it has a blue tint to it.

How much do you reckon it would cost to replace and fit? How much would a pump cost?

Thanks!

I had this done earlier this year so i can check my service history if i remember later on! Got a busy evening lined up so may forget.

I dont think its checked during a service.

When you look in the expansion tank for the coolant, is there still coolant over there? Or is it running quite empty? And does the radiator become hot and does that fan turn on when it's overheating? (edit: just saw you say you filled it up and then it goes below minimum again...)

From what you say I'd reckon it's the waterpump or the thermostat. Since you say it's getting increasingly difficult to get hot air from the heater it sounds like thermostat.
Thermostats ain't that expensive so might be worth trying. But surely you need to get that leaking fixed too.

Dunno if this could be the case: When the thermostat is locked and doesn't open properly your engine would overheat since the water will not be going through the radiator properly. It could be because of the overheating too much pressure builds up and you get leaks. But that's assuming and guessing, who knows...

Here a new thermostat costs around 12 euro's and new waterpumps range from 40-70 euro's, so might be worth checking.

cheers guys.

Im almost 100% certain its the water pump, because before each journey, i fill the coolant level up to MAX and the temperature will stay low, and only creep back up when half the coolant has leaked out! hehe

Also the hot air is back to normal now too. Maybe because the engine was so hot that it affected the ability of the thermostat.

Back